PKU.com Community Discussion Forum Adults and PKU HELP- returning to diet and I need a doctor

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Jewel427
    Participant

I don't know how to even begin searching for a doctor. I have tried the internet and I am coming up short. I gather information for a living but finding a doctor who specializes in PKU is proving very difficult!

Anyway I am 27 years old and want to have kids by the time I am 30. So I thought I would start the arduous task of getting healthy and back on diet now. But I'd like to start with a doctor.

Can someone help give me a reference to connect me with a doctor in Northern California?

Emsilly24

I live on the other side of the country so I cannot really give you any spefic help, but did you try the clinic finder on this website?  I tried it and plugged in my zip code, and my clinic along with others I know close by popped up so it seems to be updated and working.  Even if they can't give you a specific doctor, finding a clinic that specializes in metabolic disorders like PKU is a good first step.  Unfortunately with the condition being rare, in some areas of the country (and of the world, for that matter) people have to travel a bit to get to a clinic.  I'm one of the few lucky ones, as I live just 10 minutes from my clinic!

Best of luck to you!

Anonymous

Have you tried contacting the California Coaltion for PKU http://www.ccpkuad.org?  I'm sure someone there could help you.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Quick Poll
Which of the following best describes you?
Parent/caregiver of an infant with PKU
Parent/caregiver of a child with PKU
Teenager with PKU
Adult with PKU
Grandparent of a child with PKU
Know someone with PKU
Healthcare professional