Community Discussion Forum Adults and PKU HELP- returning to diet and I need a doctor

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
  • #8902
    Avatar of Traci

    I don't know how to even begin searching for a doctor. I have tried the internet and I am coming up short. I gather information for a living but finding a doctor who specializes in PKU is proving very difficult!

    Anyway I am 27 years old and want to have kids by the time I am 30. So I thought I would start the arduous task of getting healthy and back on diet now. But I'd like to start with a doctor.

    Can someone help give me a reference to connect me with a doctor in Northern California?

    Avatar of Emily

    I live on the other side of the country so I cannot really give you any spefic help, but did you try the clinic finder on this website?  I tried it and plugged in my zip code, and my clinic along with others I know close by popped up so it seems to be updated and working.  Even if they can't give you a specific doctor, finding a clinic that specializes in metabolic disorders like PKU is a good first step.  Unfortunately with the condition being rare, in some areas of the country (and of the world, for that matter) people have to travel a bit to get to a clinic.  I'm one of the few lucky ones, as I live just 10 minutes from my clinic!

    Best of luck to you!

    Avatar of

    Have you tried contacting the California Coaltion for PKU  I'm sure someone there could help you.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Quick Poll
Which of the following best describes you?
Parent/caregiver of an infant with PKU
Parent/caregiver of a child with PKU
Teenager with PKU
Adult with PKU
Grandparent of a child with PKU
Know someone with PKU
Healthcare professional