PKU.com Community Discussion Forum Generation PKU how is it at school

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

do you ever get made fun of…. ?

BreaMarie91

Simple answer: Nope. No nobody has ever really made fun of me.

BreaMarie91

Okay well no I shouldn’t say nobody has ever because there was one kid in 5th grade but that was only because he was trying to find something to bug me with. We didn’t get along at all. He used to hang around with my brother (they dont’ anymore) because my brother is only a year older then me and he was just not a nice kid all together so it was kind of back and forth that we tried to make fun of eathother. So yes one kid did but that was more because we were ‘out to get eachother’ rather then anything to do with PKU. Lol to this day I actually find it funny the things the two of us would do to get back at eachother. But besides that I mostly get along with anyone I meet and PKU isn’t an issue at all. nBreanna

GotPKU

when people ask you why you don’t eat meat, or what PKU is, how do you reply?

BreaMarie91

People don’t ask me alot why I don’t eat meat at school because I always sit with the same people and they already know about my PKU (they know from when I was younger and my mom explain what PKU was to their parents). But if people do ask me I basically say what comes to my mind. It’s different I guess, with people I don’t really know I kind of tell them that I’d rather not tell them. With friends it’s usually really easy to tell them and with people I don’t exactly favor I tend to be really shut down about it and don’t reall give them any info at all. nBreanna

GotPKU

yeah, i agree, most people are compleatly oblivious to the fact that im taking a weird drink, but if they do ask, i just say medicine, then when they say what for i just say, long story. Hey, it works! i bring a lunch like many other people in my school, so thats good. it’s really annoying, when i go out to eat with a group of friends or something, im allways sacred that they think im a calorie counter kinda girl b/c i allways get just a salad, and sometimes french fries. so they allways just give me weird looks when we’re in somewhere like Jack in the box, and i order a salad! (the ones who know about it arn’t as supprised.

kimjones17

ive never got made fun of for having PKU , drinking formula or eating different food. Between my close friends and i its an ongoing joke about how i could possibly be handicapped if i ever went off the diet, but thats all in good fun.

BreaMarie91

Yeah I’ve never been made fun of either. When I started school in 4th grade (I was homeschooled) I was worried that other kids would make fun of me so I didn’t tell them but around maybe 6th grade when I started telling others (I of course told my friends alot earlier then this) I found out it didn’t really matter to others that I ate differently and now today almost all of my friends know about my PKU.

Dana

My daughter was in 5th grade last year and got put on formula for the first time in years (yeah!) but even though she mixes it with Sunny D, she said she lost a friend because they said is smelled bad and refused to be near her.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Quick Poll
Which of the following best describes you?
Parent/caregiver of an infant with PKU
Parent/caregiver of a child with PKU
Teenager with PKU
Adult with PKU
Grandparent of a child with PKU
Know someone with PKU
Healthcare professional