PKU.com Community Discussion Forum Parent support how much is the possibilituy of getting pku from the carrier parents of pku ?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    medina2009
    Participant

I want to know how pku transmit from parents to children in all cases ?

1 ) both parents are pku carrier

2 )one of parent is carrier

3 ) one of parent has pku , another is healthy

4 ) one of parent has pku , another is carrier

5 ) one of my friends has two pku brothers and her parenths are family . now she wants to marry and she is so worry

about the possibility of pku in her own children .

BreaMarie91

Here are the possibilities of the baby having PKU in your given scenarios:

1. 1/4

2. 0

3. 0

4. 1/2

If one parent is not a carrier and does not have PKU none of the babies will have PKU, because both parents need to pass on the mutated gene. There is no way to be certain what the chances of your friend giving birth to a PKU child is, because although her brothers have PKU we do not know if she is a carrier or not. She would only have a child born with PKU if she is a carrier and she marries a carrier.

I hope this helps!

Cook4Love

For question 5, there is a 1:2 chance that your friend is a carrier, but 1:40 that her fiance is (unless you are in a country where PKU is more prevalent).  If the fiance is a carrier then there is a 1:4 chance they would have a child with PKU.  The statistical probability between being her being a carrier, him being one and the child having PKU is 1:320

Brenda

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Quick Poll
Which of the following best describes you?
Parent/caregiver of an infant with PKU
Parent/caregiver of a child with PKU
Teenager with PKU
Adult with PKU
Grandparent of a child with PKU
Know someone with PKU
Healthcare professional