PKU.com Community Discussion Forum Adults and PKU i have unanswered Q’s

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    paintb_ted

so recently i have been noticing the growth in popularity with the artificial sugars. can we have asesulfame k? sucralose? xylitol? acacia?

c mc donnell

Hi my name is Celina i come from Ireland. I know one thing we cannot have is aspartame. I am not sure about the other things you have mentioned.Maybe you should contact your dietician.

c mc donnell

Hi my name is Celina i come from Ireland. I know one thing we cannot have is aspartame. I am not sure about the other things you have mentioned.Maybe you should contact your dietician.

connor05

hi i have a son who has pku and to sisters who have it to,akasulfame k (not sure how to spell it),as long as it is on its own that is fine but if its with aspartame you cannot,hope this helps xx vicky xx

Anonymous

HI IAM BETHANN I FOUND ASPARTAME IS PUT IN EVERTHING nFOR FESHNESS THATS NOT GOOD FOR ALL OF US SO PLEASE nLOOK AND READ ALL LABLES IT’S IN SOME MEDS SO PLEASE READ nBEFOR YOU TAKE IT

connor05

hi, i have found this too every juice drink that my son wants all contain aspartame its getting more and more of it arround latley making it harder,xx

arkham

Acesulfame K and sucralose are fine. I’m not familiar with xylitol and acacia.

J4repots

Well, I have been on this diet for 24years Yes there are many drinks out there with Aspertame(forgive the spelling) but I was told that the new sweetner of Surclose is one of the sweetners that don’t have many if any Phe’s, as with the drinks it depends on the type of drinks he wants but, My favorites are the traditional Fruit Punches as long as you go for a more common brand they tend to use regular sugar as their main source of sweetness.I do agree but, one thing I can’t seem to find is a mint or even gum that is not sweetened with Aspertame. I hope these helps.

Tracie_PKU

If you are looking for gum stay with ORBIT.
    It is sugared with alcohol. nThat is the only gum i chew.
    Just an FYI ( for your info ).
    Tracie

Lynsey

Hi im lynsey im new on this i have pku i am just starting to go on my diet but i have been up and down on the diet for 5-6 years

Tracie_PKU

Hi Linsey, nWelcome My name is Tracie and i have PKU as well.(like all of us)LOL
    I’ve just started back on diet myself about 1 month ago.
    I’ve been off diet for about 10 yrs. now, but i’m getting use to it.
    I’m on all the time.If you wanna talk i’m here.
    Take care, nTracie-PKU

jenn_harney

TRACIE orbit contains aspartame. it has the PKU warning right on the label! the only gums i’ve found are doublemint, dentyne fire, and the bubblicious gums.

Tracie_PKU

Hey Jen,
    I do realize that some orbit gum does have the wrong sugar content,but there is some orbit gum that is sugared with alcolhol.
    I just look at the labeling. nAt least where i live they have that kind of gum.
    but thank you for remnding me,cause i do tend to forget.
    Tracie-PKU

jenn_harney

ok, just making sure! i haven’t found the orbit gum without phe!! what kind did u find? it’s really hard for me to find mint gum that doesn’t contain any aspartame.

ArmyPKU99

I do know that the Splenda sweetner (I believe that uses Sucralose – not sure) is “safe”. However, if anyone is trying to gain calorie intake, this is not the sweetener for you (as it is low in calories).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
Quick Poll
Which of the following best describes you?
Parent/caregiver of an infant with PKU
Parent/caregiver of a child with PKU
Teenager with PKU
Adult with PKU
Grandparent of a child with PKU
Know someone with PKU
Healthcare professional