PKU.com Community Discussion Forum Parent support ill be all alone

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    BraelynMom

hi as some of you know this is sarah and my daught has pku and we just found that out my boyfrined might have to go to Iraq again for the second time and i am very worried for his safty and also worried that i cant do this on my own hes usuall the one that is there to do the stuff he usually looks up stuff and tells me about how much she can have so now im worried. nThanks Sarah

HappyMom

Hi Sarah,
    I didn’t know your boyfriend was in the military. It’s hard to see families seperated because of war. nAs for your daughter’s diet, start practicing now while you have him home to help you. We write down what Easton eats on a calendar through out the day. That way we have a running total of how many Phe’s he’s had. Another trick I started doing is writing the Phe content of foods on the containers. Like on his box of Gerber Oatmeal I used a permanent marker and wrote 25Phe/1 Tablespoon. On the containers of Gerber foods, like Garden Vegetables, I write 99 Phe. That’s the value of the whole container. That way I know without having to look it up all the time. Some stuff I still have to look up, like bananas. I never remember the value of bananas!
    Sarah

BreaMarie91

Sarah,
    I know how you feel. Awhile ago my cousin left for Iraq and me (along with all of my siblings and cousin) hated the fact that he left because me and all my cousins are extremely close. And he left right before his wife had their baby, he just got back about 4 months ago (they’re baby is about 1 1/2 now).
    Anyway, I agree with Sarah, right now would be the best time to start practicing. And I think writting the labels on foods would help alot. You see Bridget right? If yes then I’m sure you could give her a call and talk to her about this, I’m sure she would always be willing to help you out. I hope everything turns out for you guys and just keep working at the food, I know you can do it!
    Breanna

aka000103

It will be fine. I have 1 year old twins with PKU. I stay home and thier father goes to work from 7 am until 8 pm. Granted he’s not out of the country, but I do it all. I even take them to the hospital that is 2 hours away every other month with 2 extra kids. I know it has to be the absolute scariest thing in the world, but I know you can do it. I look at video’s online that show adults with PKU that weren’t treated for it. It reminds me why it is so important to keep a “bible” of what they take in each day. It WILL be ok. I PROMISE!!

BraelynMom

thanks you guys we just got news that he is non deployable bc the baby has pku they said that counts for it so thanks for the advice

BreaMarie91

So he isn’t leaving? Well I’m glad to hear that you won’t have to do things on your own! I hope everything is going good for you guys!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Quick Poll
Which of the following best describes you?
Parent/caregiver of an infant with PKU
Parent/caregiver of a child with PKU
Teenager with PKU
Adult with PKU
Grandparent of a child with PKU
Know someone with PKU
Healthcare professional