PKU.com Community Discussion Forum New to PKU.com Insurance coverage on pills andor formula?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    makester
    Participant

I live in Minnesota and my health insurance is through Mass. I know that Mass. insurance recognizes PKU patients and considers pills/formula as a prescription drug and only charges me as said drug. I wanted to know if there are any other states that do this.

Momofadyangel
    Participant

Luck you.Our medical insurance in New Mexico consider my daughter’s PKU Formula and Low-Protien Food, Medical Durable Equipment. Every year we have a $500 debuctible and a co- insurance.
    I’m thinking wheelchairs and potty seats when they say this.

Momofadyangel
    Participant

Luck you.Our medical insurance in New Mexico consider my daughter’s PKU Formula and Low-Protien Food, Medical Durable Equipment. Every year we have a $500 debuctible and a co- insurance.
    I’m thinking wheelchairs and potty seats when they say this.

BreaMarie91

I’m not 100% sure if I know what you mean when you say food/formula are considered as drugs. Here In Wisconsin Formula and food are payed by the state. If I want formula I call my clinic and a few days later I drive to their warehouse and pick it up. I think they mail it to people who live 50 miles or more away, but I’m not sure.

Im just returning to Diet after being off for many years! What a process – and this insurance world is just a racket!!! This is why people have a hard time returning to diet b/c we ..now as adults CANNOT AFFORD we need to fight for our disability and get coverage here in NY STATE—Or we need to MOVE TO WISCONSIN!!!! Since my husband is a DIEHARD PAKCER/BRETT FAVRE FAN–HE IS READY!!!! HAHA! ANY IDEAS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

BreaMarie91

Lol, well I guess moving to Wisconsin is an idea . Come join me in the genetic center at Children’s Hospital of Milwaukee. My doctor, dietitian and genetic counselor are all amazing people.
    But yes, I can only imagine that messing around with insurance is probably hard. Like you probably guessed I’m from WI, so formula/some foods isn’t as much of a big deal for me. Anyway, good luck with getting back on diet!!!!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Quick Poll
Which of the following best describes you?
Parent/caregiver of an infant with PKU
Parent/caregiver of a child with PKU
Teenager with PKU
Adult with PKU
Grandparent of a child with PKU
Know someone with PKU
Healthcare professional