PKU.com Community Discussion Forum New to PKU.com Introducing….Me:)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Hello All! nMy name is Katie and I joined this group to get a better understanding of PKU and how to manage it. My Niece Jenny has had PKU since birth. She’s 14 now and she’s doing wonderfully. My brother and his lovely wife have been great at keeping Jenny in perfect health.
    My ultimate goal is to have Jenny here for the summer one year in NY. I’m nervous about handling her food and testing and such. If you have any tips or just encouragement, please let me know Thanks!

BreaMarie91

Hey Katie,
    I think that’s great that you want to keep your neiece for the summer. My main suggestion would be to talk to your brother and find out how much of the diet Jenny handles on her own. If she is handling most of it by herself there might not be too much that you’ll have to learn.
    I’m not sure what exactly you want to learn about PKU, but if I can ever help drop me a line!

Anonymous

I will have to ask. I don’t know how much she contributes.

BreaMarie91

That would be a good idea. By the time I was ten I was pretty much handling the diet on my own. On the other hand my ten-year-old sister needs a lot of help from our parents. My point is everyone is different.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Quick Poll
Which of the following best describes you?
Parent/caregiver of an infant with PKU
Parent/caregiver of a child with PKU
Teenager with PKU
Adult with PKU
Grandparent of a child with PKU
Know someone with PKU
Healthcare professional