PKU.com Community Discussion Forum Parent support Is it a red line around meat for pku people ?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    medina2009
    Participant

I mean meat is absolutly forbidden for pku people ? or they can use it but should calculate it's phe .

for example , is it possible for one person with pku ,  not to eat anything for 24 hours, and instead of lunch eat a piece

of chicken or an egg ?

BreaMarie91

I'm not a doctor, but I've always been under the assumption that doing something such as that would not be a good idea. Eating all of your phe for the day at once could spike a phe level and make it drastically increase in a short time. It might not be a good idea to introduce your son to very high phe foods such as meat, because as he gets older he may want to eat more than he is allowed, or he could eat it more often than allowed.

I have never eaten meat, and I have no interest to try it.

medina2009
    Participant

thank you very much Brea . your statement is so logical . I never wanted do this work for him , but I want to know about

this possibility for urgency situations . and I know that it is possible to make so many various foods with egg . I

wanted to make one kind of food with an egg . and he use it for for example six times . the phe of an egg would

pervade .

I certainly agree with Brea. About 30 years ago doctors thought that it was ok to take people off the pku diet which wasn't good at all. I was one of them I ate everything meat, eggs etc but found them hard to digest and use to suffer greatly after eating these products. Chicken, fish and milk didn't excite me much as they taste like nothing and I use to gag.

Time went by and my health deteriorated so much that now I am back on the diet which was the hardest thing I had to do for myself but gradually I did and now I am living a great quality life again.

medina2009
    Participant

thank you so much to share your experience . so it is possible for pku people to eat meat , but it annoys them .

and when you back on diet , you will be abale to have your regular life .

lily231987

hi im lynsey

i have classic pku n iv not been on the pku diet for 15 yrs n i eat meat all the tme n i feel fine but cuz iv been off the diet for so long now i realy want to strt the diet agian n plus im 23 so i think its tme to live up to my responsability of the diet cuz in the last 2 months i have now noticed a differants i feel like im losin my intellagents so i wud like to do it for my health n that is more important then hopfully strt a famliy which wud mean the whole world 2 me n my 8yr partner   

angelbaby

when i was pregnant with aoife it was required by my dietition to try a piece of bacon and cheese because the baby needed the protein! as you go further into your pregnancy the exchanges went higher to meet the babies needs.  That was the only and last time i'll try meat didnt care for it!

rasher of bacon is 3 exchanges

slice of processed cheese 3 exchanges

lily231987

hi angelbaby

u have explained alot to me thank u 4 that i wos just realy confused but now i understand more thank u x

lily231987

hi angelbaby

im on the pre conception diet now n my blood levels r 480 but iv sent 2 more off since and i find out tomoz the results i cant wait  : ) to find out wot it is me n my partner r vry excited x

lily231987

hi angelbaby

how r u ?

iv been on the pre conception diet 4 about 2 months n a week now n 4 sum reason my blood level has dropped to 70 which iv never been lower that about 120 b4 its just realy strange to me

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Quick Poll
Which of the following best describes you?
Parent/caregiver of an infant with PKU
Parent/caregiver of a child with PKU
Teenager with PKU
Adult with PKU
Grandparent of a child with PKU
Know someone with PKU
Healthcare professional