PKU.com Community Discussion Forum Parent support Is the gravy permissible for pku people ?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    medina2009
    Participant

Some people believes that the pku people cant eat meat , but can drink gravy and broth of meat instead . they said the most protein of meat remains in itself and the little amount of it reches to gravy . so the gravy of meat doesn't have much phe . Is that correct ?

beckyboo
    Participant

If I were you, I would just check the packet of gravy for how much protein in the gravy. I normally have the dry gravy like bisto, thats only got a small amount of protein per 100 gs so i have that. And I just measure how much I have an count the protein. But I would think actual stocks and things that are made from actual meat would have a lot more protein in them. However, I would not know because I have never wanted them! Could you not check with your dietician, thats what I would do if I was not sure! 

Hope this helps

medina2009
    Participant

thanks for your reply . I mean the gravy of meat that wm make at home . the dietician said to me after he grow up to 4 , because his brain growth is complete you can use gravy and broth of meat .

beckyboo
    Participant

Oh I didn't even realise that you could have the broth of meat =-S but yes, if you are going to use it for a child, I personally wouldn't give it to a child until they are a little older! But checking with the dietician, if he/she said that its ok after hes 4 years old, then the dietician would know much better than me! =)

pkuchris

Technically the brain is not fully developed until the late teen years  so I personally would not reccomend the meat type of stocks especially if the child hasnt been exposed to it instead  try to get the child  used to lower phe things like vegetable stock or broth

Just a thought

BreaMarie91

I'm with Chris. If he is never introduced to meat gravy, chicken broth, etc, he won't know what he's missing. You can't miss something you've never had. Also introducing high phe foods at any age is not a good idea, at least in my opinion.

If you want to make him a low protein version of chicken soupyou could use George Washington broth if that is available in your area. If I remember correctly it is not made with real meat products and has no phe. Look for chicken broth seasonings in your local grocery store that say 0 grams of protein and do not have meat products listed in the ingredients, then double check with your dietitian to be sure it is okay.

medina2009
    Participant

thank you for your replies . but I think that they test the broth of the meat in the lab and they conclude that the proteine of meat remain in itself  and  doesn't  permeated to the water of meat.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Quick Poll
Which of the following best describes you?
Parent/caregiver of an infant with PKU
Parent/caregiver of a child with PKU
Teenager with PKU
Adult with PKU
Grandparent of a child with PKU
Know someone with PKU
Healthcare professional