Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Gerard77

Hi,
    I am trying to find information on a product called Kuvan – which has been created by BioMarin.
    I have emailed the company and as yet received no response from them on it.
    I am 29yo with PKU and would like to find out more information on this as I would like to know if it will be of benefit to me.
    Does anyone here know of anything on this product?
    Gerard

Tracie_PKU

Hi Gerard, nFirst contact your Dr.,and he can tell you if Kuvan would even benfit you by what type mutation you have.
    I have contacted Biomarin they are located in San Fransico,Ca.
    Here is there Phone # 415-506-6700 nFax #415-382-7889 nThey will need your Drs. Approval along with Written perscription. nThen Biomarin will send you a form via Fedex,sign it fax back,and you get your pills following week.(depending on your location)
    I hope i was helpful for you. nGood Luck!!!!
    I start mine next week..
    Take Care, nTracie-PKU

Onazzur

Kuvan is AMAZING. It changed my life. I eat anything, and I mean anything, I want to eat and I don’t have any formula anymore, just the Kuvan. Also, my levels are always anywhere from 2-3.
    Not everyone responds to it but I strongly recommend trying it.
    -Bianca

Tracie_PKU

Just wanted to let you know that i have responded to Kuvan wonderfully.
    I take only 4 pills a day,and started in Nov. My PHE then was 16.9.Now it is 9.something.
    I am still a strong vegan.I think probably cause i don’t care for any type of meat,poultry,and fish products.
    Plus no more formula that alone is a blessing.
    I hope anyone who trys Kuvan has a good response to it.

arkham

You might want to look at this: http://www.kuvan.com/AboutKuvan/AboutKuvan.aspx Briefly, Kuvan is a synthetic form of BH4 (tetrahydrobiopterin), a cofactor which assists in the breaking down of phenylalanine by the enzyme phenylhydroxylase (PAH). People with PKU have reduced production of PAH. Because of how Kuvan works, those with the most residual enzyme activity (meaning that they produce more PAH and have some ability to break down phe) are the most likely to respond well to Kuvan. Generally, those with less severe forms of PKU respond better, though there are those with classic PKU that also respond. In my case, I have moderate, or variant, PKU (vPKU), and have some residual enzyme activity. I currently take 19 pills a day (dosage is based on weight) and 1 1/2 servings of formula and eat 45 grams of protein in food each day. My levels have been at around 6 on this regimen.

cmbell

Anybody know anything about taking Kuvan during pregnancy???? Thanks.

pkusince62

Dr. Koch contacted me last week about Kuvan. He felt it would probably be good for me to give it a try. So I will be starting a 30-day trial here soon.

katiemag16
    Participant

best of luck on Kuvan!!!!

CMBELL – they highly recommend right now you not take Kuvan during pregnancy because there is no research to determine if or what the effects would be on the baby.

btterflygal

starting kuvan on Monday.. not sure what to expect.. it seems i will have to be quite organized at first especially

i am not the best with that but i will try . :)

BreaMarie91

Good luck btterflygal with Kuvan! You will have to let us know how everything turns out for you!

btterflygal

Thanks Brea   I  am also known as Andi :) 

catcocoa

This is for brea how do you accept people that want to become your friend I tried every thing and nothen. Can you help me if you know how.
    Thank you.
    Catcocoa.

BreaMarie91

Try clicking on the name of the person who you want to become a friend to. That should take you to their profile page. Somewhere under their picture on the left side of the screen there should be some links that you can click on. One of them should say Add To My Friends. Click on that link, and it should work. Then you just have to wait for the person to accept your friend request.

Let me know if this does not work!

~Breanna 18 CPKU

catcocoa

Hi brea I tried whet you told me to do and it didn't work!!I don't have a regular computer I use my blackberry cell phone do I need to use a laptop or something please help me I don't know whet to do? I'm getting upset.”PLEASE HELP”
    Your friend.
    Catcocoa.

catcocoa

Hi brea I tried whet you told me to do and it didn't work!!I don't have a regular computer I use my blackberry cell phone do I need to use a laptop or something please help me I don't know whet to do? I'm getting upset.”PLEASE HELP”
    Your friend.
    Catcocoa.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
Quick Poll
Which of the following best describes you?
Parent/caregiver of an infant with PKU
Parent/caregiver of a child with PKU
Teenager with PKU
Adult with PKU
Grandparent of a child with PKU
Know someone with PKU
Healthcare professional