PKU.com Community Discussion Forum Parent support Lifestyle change

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    HappyMom

I did it! I quit my job! Jason and I talked about it and decided it was the right thing to do. Right now Jason and I both get up at 5am. I prepare Easton’s food while Jason gets ready for work. Easton and Jason leave at 6 which gives me a half hour to get ready and leave for work. I have a hour and a half commute and don’t get home until 6pm. This means during the week that I see Easton for maybe an hour or two each day.
    Now that Easton is 11 months old he is wanting more food and we don’t have the time to prepare it. Plus, I want to stay home and raise my baby. Also my job doesn’t have any perks. Jason has an internet business besides his full-time job. Maybe I can help him with his business.
    I’m super excited but pretty scared too . I’ve always had a full-time job. Well, I guess I still do (Easton) and the perks are unbelievable !!! I wanted to share the news with my PKU friends.

BreaMarie91

Congrats on making a change. It’ll be different but probably better for you, Easton and Jason. I hope things go great! nBreanna

debbieco

congratulations on making this decision. All of you will be much better off spending more time together. Children grow up so quickly and there isn’t any other job in the world nearly as important than raising a happy, healthy child. nWish you all the best wishes and keep in touch!

BraelynMom

its nice when u can do that i only got a weekend job on sat and sundays only so i can stay home with braelyn, and i also dont trust daycares exspecially now with what she has i;ve heard too many bad stories, so i wont put her in ther but now we r havin money problems and i need another job but i cantand my bf said he makes enough and hes goin to school 4 cop and we’ll have money when hes out of school but just hard right now

Hi Happy Mom,
    This is another happy mom. I stayed home with my babies for 7 years and they are still the happiest years of my life. Money ain’t everything. Anyway, after this past weekend, it looks like you’ll be spending a lot of time in the kitchen experimenting with new ideas and recipes. So will I. Need to get that cookbook. That’s it for now. Mostly wanted to let you know I’m checking out the website.
    (Just to let the rest of you know, I’m Happy Mom’s mom).
    See ya!

BreaMarie91

Hi, I think we met briefly on Saturday at the conference. And speaking of daycares, I’m only 15 but still I don’t think I would put my kids in daycare (PKU or no PKU). nBreanna

HappyMom

hehehe…I just noticed my mom posted to my discussion topic. I guess I better watch what I say . (Just kidding mommy) nMy company didn’t want to see me go so they offered part-time to me. I took it and now I work one or two days a week. nOne of the PKU mom’s I met over the weekend said one of the most important things you can do is network, get to know other people. I’m going to try to keep up with some of the new people I met and with everyone here.
    Sarah

BreaMarie91

Lol, Sarah my mom used to be on every single board I was on…I couldn’t get rid of her ! But that was okay because I didn’t mind having her at the boards , but now she’s not on the PKU boards as much.
    And yes I have found that talking to others and keeping in touch has helped me alot. That way if I need to ever find something out I can ask others before I go thru the trouble of playing phone tag with my dietian. nBreanna

BraelynMom

Thats pretty funny, was that your mom that came wih you to blue harbor?? Well i think its nice to stay home but alot of the time i dint get house work done and Jimmy gets mad he doesnt think that it is a hard job staying at home, but it can be, and he gets mad and thinks that i just sit on my butt and do nothing when i am at home, but i dont alot of the timme Braelyn wont lety me do anything bc shes crying, or content, but if i put her down to do something, she cries, so of corse im gunna tend to her first the house work can wait! Does anyone else have the same problem?? n~Sarah~

BreaMarie91

Well I’ve never had that issue (considering I’m 15 ) but I know my mom had to deal that with a few of my younger sisters. My last sister (she’s now 5) was the most demanding baby. She always wanted to be held which probably had something to do with the fact that she had so many older siblings holding and play with her that she was used to being held all the time.

HappyMom

Hi guys,
    I haven’t been around in a while. The very reason is what Sarah was talking about. Isn’t that funny? I can’t get on the computer until Easton is sleeping. If he sees me on the computer he wants to bang on the keyboard and pop off the keys. He’s such a cutie. I did get some vacuuming done with him this morning. I just had to hold him in one arm, which is hard because he’s getting big, and drive the vacuum with the other hand. He’s favorite snack right now is raisins. I was looking at some other posts from other mom’s whose kids were not a special diets. One baby could have up to 1500 phe’s! Wow! Easton can only have 130 phe’s a day. Hope everyone else is doing well. I’ve got to run before Easton wakes up.
    Sarah

BreaMarie91

Sarah-
    It’s okay, I’m sure we’re all pretty busy at times. I read the mom who said her child was on 1500phes and I was amazed. Me and my sister are only on 300phes, but oh well because it’s not like we aren’t surviving. Eastons phes will probably go up alittle as he gets alittle older. When I was younger I remember being on about 150 phes then when I was about five they moved me up to 450! That was a big change, but they had to change it back down to 300 because that was to much.
    Anyway I should go, I have to teach a dance class tonight. nBreanna

kmariewood

hi happy mom
    my name is Keisha I have 3 children 2boys then a girl but only my oldest son has pku. i am also a stay at home mum, although i did go back to work when Zach (pku)was about 3 years old, but he didnt seem to like daycare, i missed him like crazy and it was easier with his diet for me to stay home. it is the most rewarding thing i have ever done.
    keisha

Momofadyangel
    Participant

I stay at home with my three kids. We wear hand me dowm clothes or from the local thiftshop its sad when you have a membershipcard to your local thiftshop, I drive a worn out minivan( I beg my husband to give it CPR alot so we do not have to deal with a car payment), going to do something special eating out or doing something as a family is a real treat, mostly when the austic daughter is good and does not cause a big scene. mostly having to buy Addy’s PKU formula. I’m envy of those who get free formula and food.
    I guess I’m lucky to have a very understanding husband that knows being a full time housewife and mother is an never ending job. He has to force me out of the house to go hang out with my girlfriends without a kid. He lost his job a couple of years ago, I went back to work, he was mr. mom for two months, he told me he amired for my job as a stay at home wife and mom and how I keep everything running smooth. Every wifes dream words! nBrandi

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
Quick Poll
Which of the following best describes you?
Parent/caregiver of an infant with PKU
Parent/caregiver of a child with PKU
Teenager with PKU
Adult with PKU
Grandparent of a child with PKU
Know someone with PKU
Healthcare professional