PKU.com Community Discussion Forum New to PKU.com Looking foNutrition info with phenylanaline levels

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    davidc

Our 10 month son has PKU so we are fairly new to the topic. I was wondering if anybody knows of a good website where foods are listed with their nutritional content including phenylanaline levels? Normally there is info on % fat, % carbohydrates and % protein and then you can assume that 5% of all protein is phenylanaline … but this is a rough guide. So if anybody out there has found a good website or book I would love to know. nAlso has anybody made a homemade food database in EXCEL so that you can quickly calculate daily phenylanaline intake? nThanks for any help offered .

BreaMarie91

Hi, I know there is an actual phe book that you can get to tell you the amount of phe in food. If you want I can let you know what it’s called and everything (I don’t remember off the top of my head but I’ll look). It tells how much phenylalanine is in a certain amount of food and has a long list of different foods. nBreanna

debbieco

Hi Welcome and I hope that you son is doing well! There are so many good websites but if you try National PKU News.org which is Virginia Schuett’s who is a nutritionist for PKU, NSPKU which is an English website is helpful. The Australian Websites are pkunsw.org.au, pkutree.com.au and the mdda Australia.org. There is a PKU handbook that can be printed out from thepkutree.com.au nHave a great new year!

davidc

Hi again, nJust want to say a big thankyou for your replies. I found the PKU Handbook at the Australian PKU site and it is brilliant. I’ve not read all of it yet but it is a goldmine of information for people new to PKU. nAll the best from a rainy but mild Sweden!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Quick Poll
Which of the following best describes you?
Parent/caregiver of an infant with PKU
Parent/caregiver of a child with PKU
Teenager with PKU
Adult with PKU
Grandparent of a child with PKU
Know someone with PKU
Healthcare professional