PKU.com Community Discussion Forum New to PKU.com LOW LEVELS AT 3 WEEKS

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    KIROCO

Hi, this is all new and I am learning as much as I can about pku for my granddaughter who is 3 weeks on old Sat. Her level from sat was very very low and keeps coming down. Is this also a danger?

BreaMarie91

Hi, nTo answer your question yes, low levels can be just as dangerous as high ones. Everybody needs some Phenylalanine and protein, so if you don’t get enough your body starts to break down protein in muscles looking for Phe. If her levels are low your son/daughter should work with your granddaughter’s special doctor/dietitian to help higher them. Usually by giving her some regular formula aswell as her special formula (which I’m assuming she is on?). nBreanna n16 w/CPKU

kbergeron

Hi,I too am a new grandmother of pku she is 7 months old.I just found this site,and hope to get some feed back and questions answered.I do belive that the levels can be too low, if I understand correctly.understanding all this has been very confusing for me.

HappyMom

Hi,
    Normal levels are between 2 and 6. Your body does need some phenylanline for growing and developing. If her levels swing too low her diet can be adjusted to add more protein. (boy I can not spell ). Hope that is helpful. nSarah

KIROCO

Thanks for the information.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Quick Poll
Which of the following best describes you?
Parent/caregiver of an infant with PKU
Parent/caregiver of a child with PKU
Teenager with PKU
Adult with PKU
Grandparent of a child with PKU
Know someone with PKU
Healthcare professional