PKU.com Community Discussion Forum Adults and PKU Low Protein Holiday Baking

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Cook4Love
    Hello Everyone,
    ‘Tis the Season for A LOT of baking.  I just wanted to remind everyone that last year Cook for Love had a renowned cake decorator come in and do three holiday video demos to show us how to make our low protein goodies look as good as they taste.   There is a basic cake decorating, beautiful almond bark decorations for cakes and cupcakes as well as a cookie demo.  Remember, you can make the almond bark toppings and cookie doughs in advance so that you have one less thing to do the week before Christmas. 

I hope to get all of my cookie doughs in the freezer before the weekend, but I think it might be a bit too ambitious.  We are making making snowman sugar cookies for Molly’s class party.  I love that everyone in the class enjoys the same snack and does not even realize it is made for a special diet.  We are also making linzer cookies because they are my favorite.  The gingered sugar cookies have become a tradition and it is nice to have a simple drop cookie that involves no decorating!  We are going to attempt a gingerbread house this year which should be interesting.  I will post a picture on facebook.  I made gingerbread snowflake cookies for a fund raiser last week at Molly’s school and it was a big seller.  They were so beautiful and they only took about 30 seconds each to decorate once I got the hang of it — there is a picture on the site.  I got quite a few requests for the recipe — if only they knew the list of ingredients! 

A few cookie tips:
    For the roll out cookies:  make the dough, roll it out, cut the shapes and then freeze on a parchment lined cookie sheet.  Once frozen, carefully transfer them into a ziploc bag with parchment paper between the layers.  This helps to get really crisp, clean lines on your shaped cookies.  (It also reduces the mess in your kitchen the week of Christmas!) 

If you are making the cookies last minute make sure you let them sit in the fridge or freezer for at least 15 minutes to firm up so that your shapes are nice and clear.

The sugar cookie recipe is about 8 mg per cookie.  Some people are looking to reduce the phe content — you can do that by replacing the mixed egg with egg replacer and replacing the cream cheese with butter and the half package of vanilla jell-o pudding and 1/4 cup of the sugar with a full package of cheesecake flavored instant jell-o pudding.  I recommend rolling them a little thicker (1/4 inch as opposed to 1/8th) as they will be a little more fragile without the egg (you might need to increase the baking time by two minutes). 

As I am sure you will understand, the holiday season is a bit insane for me as well.  I know that the website’s “forgot your password” system is very confusing (we are looking to get it simplified).  If you have not been on the site in a while, please check your log in before next week so that I have the time to help if you are having any problems. 

Here is basically what you need to do if you cannot log in:

Click the forgot your password and you will be sent a one time log in link via e-mail.  Once you log in with that link, for some reason it does not send you directly to the part in the site where you need to change your password.  To do that click on to My Account on the left hand side and then click Edit  on the top and tab down to the password box and enter in a new password.  You can ignore the computer program’s opinion of the strength of your password and enter what you will remember.

Take care everyone and have a wonderful Christmas!
    Brenda Winiarski
    Founder of Cook for Love, Inc.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Quick Poll
Which of the following best describes you?
Parent/caregiver of an infant with PKU
Parent/caregiver of a child with PKU
Teenager with PKU
Adult with PKU
Grandparent of a child with PKU
Know someone with PKU
Healthcare professional