PKU.com Community Discussion Forum Adults and PKU Low Protein Spritz Cookie

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Cook4Love
    Hi Everyone,
    Cook for Love just added a spritz cookie recipe that Molly has declared is “her favorite cookie so far — not too sweet and super buttery.”  Based on the rate my family is eating them, I am guessing I will need to make another batch before next weekend.  Good thing they are super easy to make and require no decorating aside from some red or green sanding sugar on top!

Merry Christmas!
    Brenda
    http://www.cookforlove.org

abbi

they are very festive. its nice that pku can be made interesting because the food can become boring.

Cook4Love

THANKS!  Most importantly, they are also VERY delicious.  I promise everyone will devour them and no one will realize they were made for a special diet.  When there is no variety, any diet becomes boring.  That is why we launched Cook for Love.  Merry Christmas!  Brenda

all4youpku

I made your roll out cookie recipe and they were more delicous than the protein (flour) ones for the rest of my family. They are sooo good, I will try the spritz today.

medina2009
    Participant

In the ingredients of this cookies , there was an egg . I surprised. Doesn't have any problem for pku kids . whereas egg has 680 phe in it's 100 gram of it .

Cook4Love

An egg is 6.8 mg/gm of phe and this recipe does contain 15 gm of egg yolk (which is 8.19 mg/gm or 123 mg of phe).  Keep in mind I am not recommending that your child have an egg for breakfast.  The egg in this recipe is making 82 cookies so the protein is distributed throughout the recipe (adding only 1.5 mg phe per cookie).  Can you work the cookie into your child's phe allowance? (If not, then there is a tip at the bottom of the recipe that tells you how to lower the phe content.)  I promise as long as your child does not have an egg allergy and if you can work it into his allowance, it is safe. 

You will find that Cook for Love recipes sometimes contain a small amount of flour in baking, and almost always contain butter and heavy cream  (other ingredients considered forbidden by many), as opposed to non-dairy creamers and margarine that are lower in phe.   Why do I use eggs and other foods that are considered by many to be bad/off limits for the low protein diet?  I use them if they make a significant difference in the taste/texture, if the end product is still a reasonable amount of phe, and if it means I am giving Molly (my daughter) less chemicals.  

You are not making a specialcookie for just your child, my goal here is that that everyone  in your family enjoys this recipe.  You do not need to make a high and low protein version. No one will know that this recipe is made for a special diet, they will just know it tastes great.  Cook for Love is about starting new family traditions that your child can be a part of, that you share together, the way it should have been.   

Merry Christmas!

Brenda

medina2009
    Participant

thanks a lot .

Merry Christmas

cadenboy

Can't find teh recipe, where is it?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Quick Poll
Which of the following best describes you?
Parent/caregiver of an infant with PKU
Parent/caregiver of a child with PKU
Teenager with PKU
Adult with PKU
Grandparent of a child with PKU
Know someone with PKU
Healthcare professional