PKU.com Community Discussion Forum Adults and PKU Low Protein Summer BBQ

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Cook4Love

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to let everyone know that Cook for Love has added a bunch of new recipes to the site in time for BBQ season.  Keeping in mind the concerns raised by some adults recently with weight loss, we have developed some really nice grilled vegetable recipes and the jicima slaw is a great low calorie, low fat, high fiber alternative to a creamy coleslaw (which we also included for those of us looking to bump calories).

There are loads of options so you can have a great 4th of July BBQ.  For dessert, you can make a traditional flag cake using the yellow cake recipe or brownie bites and ice cream (our favorite for a crwod).  We updated the ice cream recipes so that they no longer involve steeping the coconut flakes — this means within 5 minutes you can have your mixture in the ice cream machine.  It is a great way to involve kids in the kitchen but not a great way to lose weight!  

We go to a lot of minor league baseball games in the summer, so I had to figure out how to make soft pretzels for Molly to go with her Cambrooke hot dog.  That recipe is also on the site. 

Summer is all about vacation, the beach, the pool, water fights, BBQs, late nights and being with family.  Now that the kids have finished up with school, I need to turn my attention to them.  I will be unavailable to answer questions on the site until they are back at school.  Have a wonderful and safe summer!

Brenda Winiarski
    Founder of Cook for Love, Inc.
    http://www.cookforlove.org  

pkuparent2

Thank you for sharing with us!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Quick Poll
Which of the following best describes you?
Parent/caregiver of an infant with PKU
Parent/caregiver of a child with PKU
Teenager with PKU
Adult with PKU
Grandparent of a child with PKU
Know someone with PKU
Healthcare professional