PKU.com Community Discussion Forum New to PKU.com menu planning

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    clenk

I'm going to attempt to do a monthly meal plan (just one that we can re-use month after month) and would love to know what you all do to manage to keep your foods varied AND within range

beckyboo
    Participant

That is a very good idea, a meal plan! I think I should do something like that!!

A good way to keep the foods varied is just simply by using all the low protein foods you possibly can. I was told that all herbs and spices are generally free so you can spice things up and make them taste good by varying with different flavours!

I personally eat lots of fruits & veggies with different sauces & low pro dressings etc. But I know that you can do lots with the pastas and making your own sauces!

Also making your own soups would be a good way to vary what your eating! You can find lots of recipes on the internet and you can adjust them to our diet!

You can add different things that have protein in, if you have enough exchanges! I am from England and I know in Holland & Barratts, you can buy a low protein cheese! But if you're in America, I think I saw somebody post about a cheese that you can get over there on prescription! 

I hope this helps?!

sarahl
    Participant

Sounds like a great idea! It would be great if you shared a sample week from your plan when you have it worked out.

Nicole1982

Hi Guys x

I totally agree, sounds like a great idea.  I would love to see an example aswell.  I am just getting into the swing of cooking low protein meals, so a little more ideas would be fantastic x

Good thinking x

Nic x

clenk

It will take a bit of time to figure it all out- since my little one is still pretty little we don't know what her phe intake allowance will be – last time we checked it was about 150mg per day but i'm hoping it will end up a bit more!! 

Why don't we do this as a team effort- can you guys all do three days of your favorite, most balanced, daily menus and then we can start sharing and all work together! Thanks in advance. We can do this- menu planning is the best way to stay on diet and keep costs down and make sure we have all of the essential nutrients i was reading the other day that those who have pku are low in magnesium, vit A and a few other things. WE can do this – create a balanced plan that saves time and is even more healthy! 

Nicole1982

Hiya x

You gave me the great idea to write down a menu Plan, so ave started the first week, but i dont think your little one will benefit from my menu ideas as the little one is still young and i am looking at a weight loss/ low protein menu plan lol.

We are a little low on some things, but usually our supplements are ment to benefit us from that!!!  i know i ave to get vitmamin B12 injections in my legs every 3 years or summit x

Little example of my menu plan:

Monday – 3 x Low Protein Bread Toasted with Topping ( breakfast)

Cup of black tea

PKU Cooler 20

Cup of Soup ( Chinese style Chicken Noodle)

Glass of High Diluting Juice

PKU Cooler 20

Vegetable Lasagne

Glass of high Diluting Juice

PKU Cooler 20

It goes on and on…..

Nicole x

beckyboo
    Participant

Do you think you could e-mail me your menu plan please Nicole?

I will private message you my email address x x x

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Quick Poll
Which of the following best describes you?
Parent/caregiver of an infant with PKU
Parent/caregiver of a child with PKU
Teenager with PKU
Adult with PKU
Grandparent of a child with PKU
Know someone with PKU
Healthcare professional