Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    shopgirl

I am in the over 50 crowd and several years ago discovered aspartame was causing my migraines. I did a lot of research and found it was the phenylalanine. I read all labels and have recently discovered whey and whey protein contain this. I do not know if I have PKU as I can eat milk, meat, eggs, cheese, etc with no side affects. Does anyone have any advise on how to find things that contain phenylananine? It was a fluke that I found out about the whey. Thanks for any help in advance!

arkham

Many people without PKU report having headaches after consuming aspartame. If you are over 50 and don’t know whether you have PKU, I’d say that if you are not suffering from mental disability, then you do not have PKU. I would suspect that your headache may have been due to the aspartame, but probably not the phenyalanine. My suggestion would be to avoid things with aspartame, which means checking anything labeled as sugar-free for that ingredient. While there are no scientific studies showing that aspartame causes significant problems for anyone without PKU, if you find that it gives you headaches, avoiding it is a reasonable step, just as you’d avoid any food that just doesn’t agree with you.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Quick Poll
Which of the following best describes you?
Parent/caregiver of an infant with PKU
Parent/caregiver of a child with PKU
Teenager with PKU
Adult with PKU
Grandparent of a child with PKU
Know someone with PKU
Healthcare professional