PKU.com Community Discussion Forum That’s PKU life! Need help with cheating son

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    msmudd

This is my first time here and I was searching for help. My 7 yr old keeps hiding in the closet and eating chocolate. I dont know until I find the wrappers. I dont know what to do. I have punished him, and he knows he can’t have straight chocolate. He has his own chocolate chip cookies and I even try chips in his pancakes. Just so he knows he CAN have a little. Please help, Im at wits end. Today he had 400gms just from the chocolate he snuck.

BreaMarie91

Have you tried to get low pro chocolates? I know that Vitaflo has Vitabite chocolates. They’re really great for things like S’mores. They look a lot like Kit Kat bars, minus the wafer.
    The website is vitaflousa.com and when you get there you can go to the products link. On the side it should have Vitabite somewhere. I guess another option would be to try to keep chocolate out of your house for a while…but I hope you don’t have to resort to that. Maybe try to get him to help while cooking things that have chocolate in them (ie chocolate chip cookies). That way you can explain to him that he can only have a certain amount of chocolate.
    I hope this helps somewhat! If all else fails, try talking to his doctor or dietitian. Maybe they can help! Good luck! nBre

msmudd

Thank you for your help. I have heard of the vitabite but never bought it. I was afraid it wouldn’t melt like the cheese. Do you know of any recipes to make with it? He hasn’t eaten it since I was last here. I wont say what I told him but, I just hate having to be mean. You have PKU bre? How do you feel not being able to eat stuff other people eat? I would like to be in my sons shoes for a day so I could better relate to his feelings. How can I find out if there are boys his age where we live that have PKU?

BreaMarie91

It doesn’t bug me at all that I have PKU. I’m on Kuvan now and to be honest, a lot of the foods I’ve tried I don’t really like. I’ve really only tried bread, pasta and tortillas. They’re okay I guess, but I prefer my low pro stuff. My 9 year old sister on the other hand wants nothing to do with her diet. She goes through phases where she tries really hard to watch what she eats and she’ll ask me for help and then she’ll stop and eating the whole world without telling my mom. Could you maybe talk with your clinic? I don’t know if you have some sort of PKU organization, but that is a great way to meet others. Also, have you ever been on the PKU listserv? There are so many PKU families on there that it’s easy to find others in your state.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Quick Poll
Which of the following best describes you?
Parent/caregiver of an infant with PKU
Parent/caregiver of a child with PKU
Teenager with PKU
Adult with PKU
Grandparent of a child with PKU
Know someone with PKU
Healthcare professional