PKU.com Community Discussion Forum Adults and PKU need more veggie menu suggestions please!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    sarahl
    Participant

Hey everyone! Hoping someone can help me out. I am very busy right now — planning my wedding in April, working full time & finishing grad school all at the same time.
    As you can imagine, I'm trying to get in shape & lose some weight because because of my upcoming wedding. I stick to my diet (350 mg phe a day) but have noticed that I rely a LOT on low pro foods and am not getting enough fruits & veggies. (My insurance covers my Cambrooke foods so I always have pasta, pizza, breads, etc in the house).
    What QUICK and low pro veggie based meals can I make? Key word being QUICK — I don't have a lot of free time. I do add veggies to pasta, eat low pro pita sandwiches w/salads…I'm looking for meal ideas.
    I appreciate any suggestions! 

foufouka

Okra and potatoes

250gr okra

250 gr chopped tomato

300gr potatoes in thick slices

3 spoons of olive oil

lemon

pepper

Soak the okra in the tomato for some hour and then put them in a pan. Do the same thing with the potatoes and then put them on the okra. Above all you pour the tomatoes, oil, lemon and pepper and put them in the oven. 

I found that the whole recipe contains 480 mg of phe and 776 of calories. I know that if you put some dry onion it will be better, but I cannot calculate the phe myself.

In Greece we use a lot of veggies to cook. For example, spinach with rice and tomato, cabbage with rice, onion and tomato are some ordinary foods. I plan to use low protein rice to cook these for my daughter, but I cannot tell you k\ow the exact amount of phe. Maybe I can send you the recipes and decide. 

sarahl
    Participant

I would love the recipes you have — all that sounds really good.

foufouka

Ok, here it comes:

Tomatorizo: Tomato with rice 

3 cups of rice (i guess low protein)

4 tomatoes (chopped)

1 medium dry onion (chopped)

1 green pepper

Olive-oil (3-4 spoons)

salt, pepper

Put the rice, salt, pepper and olive-oil in a pan. Above them pour the chopped tomatoes, onion and green pepper after you have stir- fried them ( in little olive-oil) for a few minutes.  Mix them all together and add 2-3 glasses of boiled water. Put them in the oven at 200o C. Of course you get food for the whole family….

Spanakorizo:

For 1 person

1/2 cup of boiled spinach

1 small cup (for espresso) of rice

2 spoons of tomato juice

1 spoon of olive oil

dried onion, finokio

some pepper-mint (3-4 leaves)

salt, pepper 

In the olive oil, stir- fry the spinach, onion, finokio for 3-4 minutes. Add the tomato juice , salt, pepper and put the rice in niches. Add 1 glass of water and boil in low fire until the rice is ready. Add some lemon juice before serving.

i don't know the phe for the recipes, they are the every-day foods we're having in Greece with normal rice, but I don't see why they shouldn;t work with lp. 

if you want them to be with really low calories , avoid the frying, put them all together and boil them. Then it is 250-300 calories per plate, but you'll miss the taste.

Instead of spinach, you can use leek. Don't boil it before, cut it in peices and try to make it soft in the pan over the fire. You should add celery instead of pepper-mint, and skip finokio. in your plate add some lemon.

Sorry for my English Sarah!

How about green peppers stuffed with rice, onion and peppermint?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Quick Poll
Which of the following best describes you?
Parent/caregiver of an infant with PKU
Parent/caregiver of a child with PKU
Teenager with PKU
Adult with PKU
Grandparent of a child with PKU
Know someone with PKU
Healthcare professional