PKU.com Community Discussion Forum Parent support New Foster Baby

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Poppycorn95

Hello,
    I just recently found out that I am going to be fostering a 14 month old little girl with PKU. Apparently her biological mother hasn’t been regulating her diet correctly.
    Can you tell me what I’m getting myself in to? Will I have difficulty managing this little one’s dietary needs while still having time for my other five children?
    I’m attempting to research PKU online, but haven’t gotten very far yet. The hospital is supposed to call me “sometime” today to let me know when to come for training.

Anonymous

poppy corn , i will not lie it will be hard. but the rewards are great. i want to say that u are an amazing person for takign in this child. there are not enough people like you. i would be happy to chat with u and answer any of your questions my name is Amanda and im 21 with pku. i have a website that u may find usefull to you in your research. the link is http://pku.bravehost.com/ you may contact me there or u may email persoanlly at shutterbug.86@hotmail.com . i wish u all the best and im sure everything will be fine. one of the most important things to learn will be to get her to drink her forumla . this is very essentail . when you know what formual she has let me know and i can tell u some little tricks in makign it better. example when i was her age i drank phenlyfree it was the grossest ever so my mom added strawberry quick to it.
    ow i cant remember what u eat at 14 months , if shes eatign solids i would recommed introcducing fruit and veggies rigth away. especially bananas apples and apple sauce. if she learns to like these right off everyhting will be so much easier. dont let her have chocolate or candy or anything that may be high phe , the earlier you start with the veggies and fruit the next step is low pro foods. and i muist say since i was born they have had many advancments . she wont want for anything. i alsways told people who pitted me that if i have never had something i never misse dout as i knew no diffrent. and they have so many good foods for people with pku now , like pastas, cambrugers,pizzas and baked goods. you will find them very costly but litterly life savers. nim sorry i cant be more help at this moment but as i said before i would love to talk further with u so feel free to conatct me for anything!!! nand good luck and god bless you and ur kindness!!

BreaMarie91

Hey, congrats on the new foster baby! I am sure you will do just fine with the diet. It will all just be a matter of measuring/writing down what she eats, making sure she drinks her formula and either doing home blood tests or blood tests in a hospital.
    Basically the easiest way to describe the PKU diet is that it is a low protein diet. I’m sure when you go into have everything explained to you that you will get a more in depth explaination.
    I’m not sure what information you exactly want to know, but if you have specific questions feel free to ask and I’ll help if I can!! nBreanna 16 CPKU

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Quick Poll
Which of the following best describes you?
Parent/caregiver of an infant with PKU
Parent/caregiver of a child with PKU
Teenager with PKU
Adult with PKU
Grandparent of a child with PKU
Know someone with PKU
Healthcare professional