PKU.com Community Discussion Forum Adults and PKU New to PKU (sort of)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

PKU isn’t something that I have thought about in a very long time. My parents where informed of PKU when I was born. My levels where at 13 and stayed there. If you want to know my story, I’ll be putting it on the site as soon as it lets me. Because I haven’t thought about PKU in 8 years, I am sitting here wondering which way to turn. I have a 9 year old son who is having some issues in school, and I was informed of it possibly being genetic. How do I go about getting a Doctor to look at this without being looked at, as if crying wolf? I tried to have him watched for PKU until he was 1, but with every Doctor telling me there was nothing wrong. I put it out of my mind. I know I am a carrier, and was told when I wanted to have children I needed to see a gentisist. (?) I didn’t, so now what? Any answers would be of great help. Thanks in advance.

kmariewood

HI CINNAPEDEROSE
    IM HAVING A LITTLE BIT OF TROUBLE UNDERSTANDING IF YOU HAVE PKU OR YOUR JUST A CARRIER. IF YOU DO HAVE PKU WERE YOU ON DIET WHEN YOU WERE PREGNANT WITH YOUR SON? AND WAS HE TESTED FOR PKU AT BIRTH? WHERE DO YOU COME FROM? nKEISHA

BreaMarie91

I’m just going to drop by my two bits worth.
    From what I know if your son is 9 and has PKU but was never treated for it chances would be that he would have alot more then just trouble in school. Because not being on the diet at such a young age would affect his brain so much that he would probably be mentally retarded…so the chances of him having PKU is pretty unlikely.
    Breanna

mayrogers13

If your sonw as tested for PKU by the doctors (as is required in the U.S, one of the foot pricking exams when a child is born) then there should be nothing wrong speaking in PKU terms. If you have PKU and were off your diet during the pregnancy there is a very good chance that it affected your child. I would say contact your doctor (a PKU doctor)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Quick Poll
Which of the following best describes you?
Parent/caregiver of an infant with PKU
Parent/caregiver of a child with PKU
Teenager with PKU
Adult with PKU
Grandparent of a child with PKU
Know someone with PKU
Healthcare professional