PKU.com Community Discussion Forum Adults and PKU Odd Question

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    hbkfaith

I’m 21 years old and I honestly don’t know much about PKU. I don’t have PKU, but my best friend does. He is also 21 and we’ve been friends since elementary school. I’ve been doing a little research on PKU but there is only one thing I need to know and I can’t seem to find it. Can you drink alcohol if you have PKU? I know it’s a weird question but I drink and I feel bad because my friend doesn’t think he can because of the PKU. Is there anyway around it? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

BreaMarie91

From what I know he can drink. Except, like with everything else he eats or drinks he would have to measure it. Then again I’m only 16 so I can’t even drink yet so you might want to wait to hear what some other adults with PKU say. nBreanna 16 Classical PKU

MamaSteve86

Yes, your friend can drink alcohol!! I don’t know if your friend is on the diet or not, but there is phe content in some alcoholic beverages, the highest being in beer, a little bit of phe in wine (really not much). Rum, Vodka, Whiskey, Gin, all that stuff is phe free!! Bottoms up!!
    Also, a lower phe alternative to beer is hard cider (5 phe or .3 exchanges in 8 oz.), and the lowest phe beer that I know of is Michelob light (12 phes or .8 exchanges in one can). Our livers may be lacking phenylalanine hydroxylase, but they can metabolize liquor!!!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Quick Poll
Which of the following best describes you?
Parent/caregiver of an infant with PKU
Parent/caregiver of a child with PKU
Teenager with PKU
Adult with PKU
Grandparent of a child with PKU
Know someone with PKU
Healthcare professional