Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    rgirard

I’ve been looking for a PDA-version of the PKU food list…anyone found one that works?

BreaMarie91

If you go to http://www.myspecialdiet.com and then go into the diet management section they have something for a palm. It should work. You just have to download it onto your computer and then you should beable to download it on her PDA from there.

awesome!

BreaMarie91

Although I should warn you, it is only generic foods and only gives a rough estimate of phes in food. My dietian told me it should really only be used if your away and need a rough estimate if something will be okay. She said when I get home I should still check in the phe book because the PDA program isn’t 100% accurate. nBreanna

chargers1

whats the phe book?

BreaMarie91

Just a book virginia schuett created that tells how much phe is in foods (supposively it’s supposed to be the most accurate on how much phe (or exchange which ever you count by) is in foods).
    The PDA only gives an estimate of how much phe is in 100g of that food

Amy1781

Where can you get this book?

BreaMarie91

The only place I know that you can get a hold of this book is at http://www.myspecialdiet.com. There is a store spot and you can order it there…I know there are other spots but I’m not sure where else you can get it. nBreanna

buffy_muffy

Hello! I’m new to the website and learning about PKU. My son infant is 4 months old and has PKU. I’m trying to learn everything and get resources. I believe I found on the book on the website you were talking about. I definitely want to get a copy of it. Do you know if the name is “Low Protein Food List for PKU (2002)” by Virginia Schuett? Thanks!

BreaMarie91

Hey Buffy_Muffy, nYes that is the book. Virginia Schuett did make another one, but the one you just mentioned is the newer version so that would be the one I suggest you should get. You should beable to order it from http://www.myspecialdiet.com but if not you can always talk to your son’s doctor or dietitian and see if they know of anywhere else you can get a hold of the book from. nBreanna 16 (in 19 days) w/CPKU

Momofadyangel
    Participant

Our dietian helped us get the PDA download for our daughter, Plus two books to use one is PHE For Three. and the other one is on order. If she did not think the PDA would work. She would not help us download it.

BreaMarie91

Glad to hear the PDA program works for you! I did use a program for a PDA for awhile, but after awhile I lost interest in using it. That and I lost my PDA anyway . nBreanna 16 CPKU

Momofadyangel
    Participant

You can get some books off amazon.com. Just type in PKU in the search box. That where I’m getting all of my info. Also if you contact a State University Center of Development Disaibilties, they have a libary that will loan libary material to look at. I go on-line to see what is available then call for them to sned it to me.. Then if I like it, I search the web for it.

BreaMarie91

Yep I know! I think that’s actually where my mom got our two phe books (the old and new one that Virginia Schuett created). nBreanna

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
Quick Poll
Which of the following best describes you?
Parent/caregiver of an infant with PKU
Parent/caregiver of a child with PKU
Teenager with PKU
Adult with PKU
Grandparent of a child with PKU
Know someone with PKU
Healthcare professional