PKU.com Community Discussion Forum Parent support Phe Calculator

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    CobyDale

We have a 9 month old son that we are beginning to get away from the nutritionist and do the measuring ourselves.  Because we don't really trust her due to some errors in the past, I am asking this community.  We think we have the math right but we want to double check.  We want to give our son some variety and try to wean him off of similac.  He can have 265 mg of Phe right now and s you know it will change over time.  The question is if we have 185.4 grams of food that has a total of 36 mg of Phe, how much Phe is there per gram of food?  He ate 12 grams of food.  How much Phe has he had?  I know it seems like a math problem from h*ll but it's the life.  I think we have the answer but just wanted to double check.  Please show your work. :-)

Divide the total amount of Phe (36) by the total weight in grams (185.4). That will give you the amount of mg of Phe per gram of food. Take that number and multiply it by 12 (the amount of food in grams that he ate). It will become second nature as you do it multiple times each day, every day.

CobyDale

That's what we thought.  We just wanted to get another opinion.  Thanks alot.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Quick Poll
Which of the following best describes you?
Parent/caregiver of an infant with PKU
Parent/caregiver of a child with PKU
Teenager with PKU
Adult with PKU
Grandparent of a child with PKU
Know someone with PKU
Healthcare professional