PKU.com Community Discussion Forum New to PKU.com physical activities

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    hotairgirl

hello, I am doing a little research for my upcoming event in June. My group is hosting a picnic and I am the activity director. We host a different group each year and I find out what the disabilities of the children are prior. Anything physical I should be senseative to?
    I usually do a “anything goes type of activity”. with ping pong balls on spoons and goofy things to walk to the cone and back with. Nobody wins or looses they just have fun. and they all get prizes at the end.
    I tried for find limitations on a few sites w/ no luck. ( one year it was their lungs and it was very hot and humid so we did not do running activities.) are there any? I am new to this PKU disease. Are these kids ADHD, ADD, retarted or just can’t eat certin foods? I have a degree in recreation and experience in geratric recreation. I just would like to learn what I can and can not do.

BreaMarie91

Hi Hotairgirl! nThat’s so great that your involved in things like this. Anyway, no Phenylketonurics (or people with PKU) don’t have any limitations. We are not mentally retarded, disabled ect. So basically any activities would be great! Basically we just eat differently (ie no meat, dairy, grain, beans, nuts, things high in protein ect), have to drink a special metabolic formula and do regular blood tests.
    Both me and my one other sister with PKU (I have 5 other siblings without PKU) are able to do everything our other siblings can do and we’re active in alot of things like dance classes and other things like that.
    I hope this helped! nBreanna n15 w/CPKU (soon to be 16!)

hotairgirl

Dear Breanna,
    Thank you very much for this information. I am so glad you responded and explained it to me. I will inform my group about the foods and we will come up w/ ideas this weekend on our picnic foods.
    I am so glad I can play games w/ the children! Our picnic is next month and it may be the last time we can use the airport in NJ. nBlue Skies and Gentle Breezes !!!

BreaMarie91

I’m glad I could help and good luck with your picnic and I hope it’s fun for everybody! nBreanna

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Quick Poll
Which of the following best describes you?
Parent/caregiver of an infant with PKU
Parent/caregiver of a child with PKU
Teenager with PKU
Adult with PKU
Grandparent of a child with PKU
Know someone with PKU
Healthcare professional