PKU.com Community Discussion Forum What’s the Phe? PKU AND ALTIMERS

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    nancx56

HOW DOSE PKU EFFECT AGEING AMD MERMORY LOSE IS IT WORSE THAN IN THE NORMAL PERSON.

BreaMarie91

From what my dietian told me about a year back if your on your diet and have good levels nothing really. But don’t quote me, I’m not 100% sure. nBreanna

chargers1

i know for a fact that, not staying on your diet can cause some memory loss, based on my own experience. my wife ahs just about had it with me a my lack of memory, especially over the smalles thing. that is the main reason why i have to go back on my diet. i don’t want alzhiehmers when i turn 50. i don’t want my wife having to take care of me. even though she works in an alzhiemers unit, i don’t want her to have to come home to that also. so waht ever it take i will stay on my diet this time . i’am getting to old not to be concerned with my health.

BreaMarie91

Chargers-
    I think that is great that your going to go back on diet! I wish you all the luck with that and I’m here to talk anytime you want even though I’m alittle younger (16 in june!). It probably won’t be easy but I’m sure you can do it, and I’m also sure you’ll feel alot better when your back on diet!

arkham

The fact is…no one really knows for sure the long-term effects of high phe levels in those treated early in life or on and off. PKU is still a fairly recently treatable condition, and the oldest PKUers to be treated as children are now only entering their 40s or so. Which means…no one really knows what’ll happen when we’re 60. This is one of the main reasons I’ve gone back on-diet despite doing well for nearly 30 years off…I’m one of the older generation, and I’m not too keen on the docs learning by what goes wrong with me.

PSYMOM200

hi my name is bethann m,oneill and my older brother is 52 years old and still going strong the only thing that has chang is he takes napes.
    but of couse he live in a guss home and has a ruteen to fallow .and my other brother is a trucker and he is 46.years old and me iam 47 year old
    we all have classic P K U and we are the oldest that DR R.KOCH .has in his grop in L.A. CAL. so i don’t know yet nif it will get to that point but it’s posible it could happen njust depens on the presonand there heath.so if i find out ni will tell all about it ok

Tracie_PKU

Noone knows honey,
    I was told to report all feelings as i age. nThe problem is what are those feelings?
    I get depressed, and cry alot,but they honestly don’t know what is going to happen to the first generation.
    I’m 39 and gettin there so if i feel something funky i will definitly post it for all to know LOL nTake care all, nTracie

Tracie_PKU

OMG psycomom nMy Dr, is Dr. Koch as well.
    Is’nt he awesome?
    I have been his patient since 1969. nBless his heart i wish we could clone that man. nMay i send you a friend req.?
    Talk to you later, nTracie

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Quick Poll
Which of the following best describes you?
Parent/caregiver of an infant with PKU
Parent/caregiver of a child with PKU
Teenager with PKU
Adult with PKU
Grandparent of a child with PKU
Know someone with PKU
Healthcare professional