PKU.com Community Discussion Forum That’s PKU life! PKU and College Life

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Hello again, everybody!
    For the past few months, I have been trying to decide how I can eat lower phe stuff at dinner time and how I can get my formula throughout the day when I'm having college classes. I go to a community college, so we don't have a fancy cafeteria with a lot of choices for food, but there are a few places around campus where I can get a salad, or some veggie sushi rolls (without sesame seeds). I wish there was something lo-pro I could take with me to school so I could quit spending money to eat the same stuff every day. The problem with that is I don't know of many lo-pro items that don't need to be heated or cooked in some way; I have no way to keep anything warm or cold or to heat it.
    Also, I have trouble getting my formula in during school days because I mix it as I drink it, (I don't like to mix it all at once, because I don't like to drink it when it settles and gets all thick.) I am trying to get Lophlex-20, which I tried at camp and really liked. It's all ready to go in the pouch and it's 20 grams of protein! If I got it, I would only have to drink about 10 oz. of formula per day, as opposed to 30 oz.
    Sorry this is so long! Please comment if you have any suggestions!

clenk

With my infant i pre measure the water in one container and pre measure formula in another (dry one) and then mix just before giving it to her. I make as many formula/water sets asneeded each day-

I don't know much about pku foods but what about bringing a lunchbox with premeasured cucumber/carrots/etc in a cooler bag or with a small frozen disc. 

Emsilly24

Are you living away at the college or do you commute just for the day?

I have been living away in dorms at college for three years now (even with a semester living in dorms at a university in Ireland) and I will be a senior in september, so I have lots of experience with PKU at college.  I am on the Camino Pro system for formula, which is AMAZING at school (I'm not sure where you are, but I think it's only available in the US and Australia).  The pina colada and fruit punch juice pouches are total convenience- I just grab two to drink in between classes during the day.  The BetterMilk is a powder to be mixed with water, so in my dorm room I drink one of those with breakfast and one at night after dinner, and it's perfect for me to get my 60 grams spread throughout my day.

If you want to drink something that you need to mix all throughout the day, try experimenting with premeasuring the powder, putting it in a bottle, taking the bottle along and adding the water when you want to drink from a water fountain or something.  I've done that in the past while traveling and it has worked pretty well.

As for food, the most awesome on the go snack that is low in protein for me is fruit, I just grab an apple or banana and I'm on my way.  Other great things are snack size bags of Wise onion rings or little premeasured snack size baggies of things like popcorn and crackers.  Also, the Nutricia low  pro apple bars are a staple snack for me.  Also a thermos or a cooler lunch box might be a good investment.  My school has a big cafeteria with lots of options for me, and I am able to have a microwave and fridge in my room so I can do a fair amount of preparation myself.  If you are dorming, it might be worth it to check with your residence office or your special needs coordinator to see if you could get special permission, that's what I did and it was completely worth it. 

I'm sorry this is so long! There are lots of us on this website who are in/have been to college with PKU and we are glad to help! Feel free to message me if you have more questions!

katiemag16
    Participant

I think Emily did a great job giving you some suggestions for college.  I also drink Camino Pro drink mixes (already mixed up).  I find it to be super convenient throughout the day when I am at work or graduate school.  If you need any other ideas for low-pro snacks, let me know!

JackofHearts

I just got some of those Camino pro fruit punch pouches, They are great.  I used some pouches in college a while back, but they were kinda nasty in comparison.

Anonymous

Thanks so much!!!!!

Yeah… the Lophlex LQ-20 is also in the little pouch thingy. I'm still working on getting it; seems like it would be soooooo convenient!

I'm commuting for now, but next fall I'm transferring and moving to the city. I never thought about putting the powder in the bottle… that's gonna help me a lot.

I'm a big fan of the Wise onion rings myself! Since I created this forum topic, I've been making lo-pro tortillas at home and putting them, a small container of salsa, a little ice-pack, and a lo-pro cookie or bag of chips in my lunchbox and it's been going really well! I enjoy my lunch and I don't have to leave campus!

Still trying to come up with some lunch-bagging variety, though!

Thanks again, everybody!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Quick Poll
Which of the following best describes you?
Parent/caregiver of an infant with PKU
Parent/caregiver of a child with PKU
Teenager with PKU
Adult with PKU
Grandparent of a child with PKU
Know someone with PKU
Healthcare professional