PKU.com Community Discussion Forum New to PKU.com PKU and Halloween

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    jpo1137

There is a very special boy at my mother-in-laws daycare that has PKU. I am making up Halloween bags for all of the children and I want him 2 have one too of course. What is allowed? What can I give him that I know is safe? Thanks!

Tracie_PKU

Hi there, nThat is soooooo sweet. nMy names is tracie and i have PKU. nFor treats stay with hard candie.
    No chocolate or anything with nuts. nAlso Jelly candies are not okay either.
    I know it sounds strange,but there are PHE’s in everything.
    If you wanted he could have popsicles as well.
    Once again yoiu are so kind.
    Not many people will go out of there way.
    Thanks for caring, nTracie

jpo1137

I appreciate your help. I also thought maybe no candy at all, just little toys n games or something. But hard candies r okay. No cookies or popcorn or anything?

Tracie_PKU

Hi there,
    I would play it safe.If you do popcorn just very little.Due to butter content.
    It would depend on how strict his diet is. nAs for myself i use to be a caregiver for toddlers,and yes little trickets IE:crayons,pencils,boy toy cars etc.
    Hard candies are just free for PKUers. nWhich means he can go to town on them.
    I know he would probably love the toys more.
    Also toddlers as for candie do go nuts.LOL
    I had a young boy who was alergic to nuts. nSo it took looking at the content.
    Also it is required by law to have on packaging nif it contains any PHE(Phenylalanine)
    It will have a warning saying (Phenylketonurics)which is PKU.
    Its better to be safe than sorry. nAlso no sugarfree candies.All of that is Poision to a PKU person.
    Take care, nTracie-PKU
    I hope i was some help to you.

BreaMarie91

Hey, here are some PKU friendly candies:
    Starbursts, skittles, Laffy taffy, nerds, Sprees (most Willy Wonka candies non containing chocolate), lollipops, jelly beans.
    These candy’s should all be okay as long as you don’t get any sugar-free versions. If you would like more ideas you could try asking his parents. As for popcorn, I would speak to his parents. Some children with PKU can have popcorn like myself, but for others popcorn is a ‘no’ food. If you giving the other children cookies you could ask his parents to send along some of his special low protein cookies so that you can put them into his bag.
    Bre 17 CPKU

Tracie_PKU

You Rock Bre, nThanks for leaving the list.
    I toyally forgot to include it.
    Take care, nTracie-PKU

jakesmom

Just wanted to ask some q's about Halloween. Decided to search the forum for what existed already. Thought this was a good thread to bring back to life, and add to it, instead of starting cold. Thanks for the list Brea!

Our lil guy is just 17 months, so Halloween isn't huge for him yet. The last couple years, we have taken our older non pku kids to the pumpkin patch and the festivities that go with it, haunted house, corn maze, face paint, and of course pick a pumpkin. This year, my better half, was a bear! (Not a dressed up one, just a cranky one) After half the day of dealing with it, I finally got out of her, it was her anxiety over Halloween and Jacob in the future.

I had previously thought about this, and mentioned that we would still do the pumpkin patch, maybe hit a few houses trick or treating, and maybe start a new tradition of going to the movies or something that night. Hitting a store to collect safe candies for Jacob. Buying him a box to make up for what he would lack trick or treating. I thought this was a fun way to take the emphasis of the food portion of the holiday. I didnt realize this upset her as much as it did. She feels I am ruining his halloween, along with PKU of course, cause he cant just trick or treat and eat his stash like every other kid. (Its irrelevant that I try to say kids with any other allergy, or diet restrictions, even diabeties are also affected)

Can I please get others opinions. Whether you are the kid who had halloween affected, or the parent who dealt with it.

Are we making it more of a bother than we need to? Should he trick or treat for hours like his sisters did? (They are nearing being too old to trick or treat at 12 and 13) Should he do it at all? Should we do something else…still in costume?  How do you handle school parties around the holiday? (Yes, still a couple years from school)

Thanks for your input!!
    Tanya

BreaMarie91

Growing up I always went trick or treating just the same as my siblings. After trick or treating was over I simply traded the candy I could not eat with my non PKU siblings for candy that I could have. This worked perfectly for my family, because my brother and sisters were always more than happy to take all of the chocolate off my hands, and I loved getting candy that I could actually eat. In fact most of the time we made it into a game in which my siblings tried to 'one-up' each other by offering me the candy that they knew I liked best to get what they wanted. This is what we have continued to do with my thirteen and three year old sisters who also have PKU, and it has worked wonderfully.

If Jacob's sisters are not trick or treating when he is old enough to start you could purchase candy from the store. It would be the same concept, except instead of trading with his sisters he would swap his candy with the PKU friendly candy you bought. Other people I know purchase small toys and trinkets, and their little one can 'buy' the toys by giving over a couple of pieces of chocolate for each toy.

If you want to do something else and take the focus of Halloween off of food though that is perfectly fine to, and ultimately it is your family's decision how you want to handle Halloween and Jacob's PKU. I can tell you though that although my trick or treating experience was a little bit different than other children I never felt deprived or like I was missing out on anything. I got to dress up, walk door to door, and enjoy my treats afterward just like any other child.

As for school parties my mom always kept a small container of PKU friendly snacks at my school. My teachers usually kept it in one of their cabinets or the teachers lounge, and when we had parties if there was something I could not have I simply picked a treat from my 'treat box.' However, most of the time teachers will tell you when class parties are being held ahead of time, and you can plan to send low protein cupcakes, cookies, etc on that day. Again, for me this was never an issue. As long as I got a treat as well and it was something I liked I was happy.

Hope this helps,

Breanna 20 CPKU

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Quick Poll
Which of the following best describes you?
Parent/caregiver of an infant with PKU
Parent/caregiver of a child with PKU
Teenager with PKU
Adult with PKU
Grandparent of a child with PKU
Know someone with PKU
Healthcare professional