PKU.com Community Discussion Forum Parent support pku and iron poverty

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    medina2009
    Participant

Hi everybody . I have a 3 year old boy has pku . last week we have a blood check up for everything . his iron was so low . it should be between 60 – 180 . Arshia's iron was 24 . I think pku people because of their diet may find these problems .  do you have any suggest or do you know any syrup to increase the iron in the blood ? and has constant effect ?

pkuparent2

We have a 3 year old also. He had to be presribed iron by the doctor, which was in a liquid. His blood was checked again after several months and it was back to where it should be. Good luck

medina2009
    Participant

you know that the most important source of iron is meat . some dietition say that all the vegeterians would find this problem . because meat supply 80 – 90 percent of iron and vegetable supply just 10 percent of body iron . so I think vegeterian should use these syrups all the time .

foufouka

There are various suspensions of iron. We use it everyday as prevention, because the diet cannot give the iron needed to a growing toddler, even if in formula there is iron added. To evaluate the iron stores better, you should measure ferritine in the blood and not iron itself. If your son has a deficiency he should take a supplement, but the dosage you should discusse it with your pediatrician. Other supplements that we take are vitamine B12, and vitamin D.Hope this helps.

Vegetarians can get plenty of iron from legumes, whole grains, and dark leafy veggies. However with the further restrictions of the PKU diet it is impossible to get all the iron needed from food. My son's PKU formula supplies some iron and we worked with the dietician to determine how much more he needed to get from a supplement. We add his liquid vitamin supplement directly too his formula for ease.

As a side note, it would be good to look at how much calcium, magnesium, and potassium he is getting in his formula and other sources as those are often low as well in the PKU diet. His dietician can figure out if he is getting enough or not by comparing his intake to reccomended amounts.

Good luck!

medina2009
    Participant

thanks for your replies . they would help me so much . in order to foufouka speech we do the blood test and in test we saw that iron was so low . and it wasnt anything about ferritine .

and I have also another question . you know that iron supplies should not consume with creamery ( dairy ) . I mean it should be at least 2 hours space between the consuming of iron and dairy like milk , yogurt , cheese and . . .

I want to know that are pku formulas classified as creamy supplement ? and should not eat with iron supplements ?

foufouka

I'm not sure about the formula, but I know for sure that iron should not be consumed with milk, dairy and veggies. Generally it is better to take it with an empty stomach ( I do it half an hour before meal) and to split the dose at least twice a day.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Quick Poll
Which of the following best describes you?
Parent/caregiver of an infant with PKU
Parent/caregiver of a child with PKU
Teenager with PKU
Adult with PKU
Grandparent of a child with PKU
Know someone with PKU
Healthcare professional