PKU.com Community Discussion Forum That’s PKU life! PKU and the Flu shot

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

hey my dietican told me that it would be wise to get a flu shot..she told me this a few yrs ago that this would be a good idea and that since i have pku it would be free for me and whom ever i live with. i never have given it much though as im worried that if i get the flu shot i would get the flu. pls i dont know much about the flu shot .. i would like to hear anyone anyones opnions about this and if they think i should get the flu shot.. my work is giving them out for free tomorrow and im really worried about what i should i do ..that and every year i get the flu ? some pls help!!!

BreaMarie91

From what I know my mom has never had us get the flu shot…well she probably did but it had to be years and years ago when I was little. But that’s just our family and obviously that isn’t the best thing for everyone. I only got the flu once when I was abour 8 and besides that nobody else in my family has gotten the flu. I just happened to be the lucky one out of the nine of us.
    Is it getting the flu and having your levels get high that your worried about? nBre

Anonymous

im sorta worried about both.. when i get the flu i get hit hard.. off work and everything.. really sick trhoughign up and all and then i cant keep any food down and that makes my levels get high. the last time i had the flu was in 2005 and nearly ended up in the hospital cause i was so sick id pass out.. last week i had a virus in my intestines and that was bad enough..dr actually told me not to eat…im tired of getting sick but im scared to take the shot incase it makes me sick anyways… im so confused???????????

BreaMarie91

Ow, Well then that makes the decision very hard to make. I’m really not sure which one you should go with. The last time you got the flu shot did you get really sick after that? Because if not then I’m sort of assuming that you wouldn’t get sick from the shot again. Then again, there are so many different types of the flu and everything that the flu shot might not protect you against all…if I’m making much sense. nBre

Anonymous

i have never had the flu shot.. im worried that it will give me the flu or do soemthign to my body and i dont want to get sick..but im told i should get it casue i seem to get the flu very easy every year.

Anonymous

ok so appernalty the flu shot is cooked in egg whites..that really freaked me out but i called my deitican and she said the ammount in it was not enough to be harmful or make any differance.. it would like be eating a small slice of cake or a cokie.. so with my fears qualmed i took the flu shot today.. ill let u know if i react or get sick by my pku support staff said i should be fine and i trust my deiticans!

BreaMarie91

I’m sure you’ll be fine. Besides if you do get sick it isn’t as if it is going to completely harm you or anything. Even if your levels go up alittle bit it wouldn’t do any harm unless your sick for a long time. nBre

Anonymous

4 days later and i feel no side effects …nor did i get sick!!!

oldkpugirl

I have gotten many flu shots and never worried so much about it. Being a teacher and around kids with the flue/snotty noses and them touching me after they have touched their nose…I made the choice to get one every year. It hasn’t raised my phe level nor did I get sick getting it. It just kept me healthier around my sickness infested environment. Maybe someone at your work had the flu and then was touching something at work…you could get it from that! It is scary that you could get flue from touching a grocery cart at the store! A person touching apples or any fruit or veggie at the supermarket and putting it back because they didn’t like the way it looked…you could get the flu from that! I am sorry just pointing out a few ways that even though you are not a teacher like me who is exposed all the time at work could get it any way. So I am glad that you got the shot because it is not worth getting sick over…especially as sick as you get.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Quick Poll
Which of the following best describes you?
Parent/caregiver of an infant with PKU
Parent/caregiver of a child with PKU
Teenager with PKU
Adult with PKU
Grandparent of a child with PKU
Know someone with PKU
Healthcare professional