Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    missmudd

My son is now 8 and he is wanting to meet other kids his age. I have heard of PKU camps. I haven’t found any info for 2009 though. Have any of you been to one of these camps? Do you know anything about one for this year?

Tracie_PKU

Hi there, nMy name is Tracie,and i went to a PKU camp a while ago.It was at UC DAVIS in SAC. CA.
    I heard of a camp going on in Emory University in Atlanta Georgia.
    The camps are alot of fun,and teaches campers how to deal with PKU.Make different recipes. nAlot of fun and encouraging talks.
    I hope i helped you out some?
    See Ya, nTracie-PKU

katiebravo
    Participant

HI THERE
    I WENT TO PKU CAMP AT AGE 35 IN ATLANTA…THE AGES THERE WERE VERY YOUNG TO VERY OLD…IT WAS AN AMAZING EXPERIENCE..I AM 43 NOW AND WOULD DO IT AGAIN IF I COULD… nKATIE

shorty47

I am a a 47 year old female with pku, I get overwelmed with diet , of what I can eat and not at times but it seem to be getting harder for me ,health wise in my on going age,

Tracie_PKU

Hi Shorty,
    I see you are under Dr. Kochs care.
    I am too as well as Liz,and Kathy.
    I swear if i could clone anyone it would be that entire team.
    May i ask what kind of struggles you are having?
    I just started back on diet its been about almost 6 months now.
    Have you tried Kuvan yet?
    That is what Dr. Koch has me on,and its actually working.(Thank God).

The diets not easy.If i can help you in any way
    just let me know.

I will add you to my friends list,and we can talk if you want?

Do you live in La.,Ca.?

Tracie-PKU

BreaMarie91

Missmudd,
    Speak with your son’s doctor or dietitian. They are usually given information on PKU camps or they know where you can get information. You might also want to check with them because a lot of states have PKU organizations that hold events such as holiday parties or summer picnics.
    I know they hold Camp Phever and Camp Phearless each summer in (I think) Texas. One is for children and their PKU siblings and the other is for adults. Again talk to your doctor and they might be able to hook you up with the person incharge of these camps.
    I have gone to PKU for the past two years, but it was a Maternal PKU camp so it was for girls 14 and up. It is very fun and I still talk to pretty much all of the other girls who attended camp.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Quick Poll
Which of the following best describes you?
Parent/caregiver of an infant with PKU
Parent/caregiver of a child with PKU
Teenager with PKU
Adult with PKU
Grandparent of a child with PKU
Know someone with PKU
Healthcare professional