PKU.com Community Discussion Forum Generation PKU PKU in College

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Elizabeth
    Participant

I am in college and I was wondering what other people do in college, or if anyone had any other questions in general.

BreaMarie91

I’m not in college since I’m only 15 but was just curious if you live at home, in an apartment or dorms ect? nBreanna

Elizabeth
    Participant

I live in the dorms. Right now, I have the meal plan the university offers. It’s just a cafeteria with an all you can eat buffet. I really love having a salad bar every day, but it’s also very easy to get carried away with getting things like chips and french fries, or other high phe foods. But, I am not that far from home (only about an hour) so my mom cooks me some low-protien noodles and I have them in my fridge and just heat them up in my microwave for a quick meal.

BreaMarie91

Yeah that is what I basically do for foods at school (I’m a sophmore in highschool) I just take salad bars. I am planning on going to college but I’m probably going to stay home.

Elizabeth
    Participant

That’s cool, that you have salad bars in your high school! My high school just had catering. Some days there would be Fazoli’s (pizza and pasta), other days Hy-Vee catered in and they had Chicken, or sandwhiches, or something like that. I always brought my lunch. Do you find it difficult having PKU in high school? I really never had too much problems. The only big thing for me would be having too much foods that I shouldn’t of because they were so easily accessible.

BreaMarie91

Not really, when I started school in 4th grade (I was homeschooled until then, which had nothing to do with PKU since my siblings were homeschooled too) anyway it was hard thru elemantary because I was new to telling kids my age and middle school it got alittle better. Now that I’m in highschool the diet isn’t to hard for me, except on few occasions but everything works out. Since me and my friends are older and they are able to understand more they all are really interested in my diet so I try to explain things in terms that they can understand.
    And yes we have salad bar like 3 days aweek, and the other days I bring lunch. Although in elemantary I did a mix of taking school lunch (just the fruits and veggies with extra servings) and cold lunch and in 6-8th grade I had the school make special low pro meals.

daveymickmc

im in college, i think it can be very hard to keep to the diet sometimes, i do go over my allowances regulary, mainly because the college cafeteria doesnt do much foods suitable for me, and i have to cook for myself in my flat, it can be very hard, i stray from the diet alot since i started college, ive found it harder to concerntrate since i started college aswel, so im linking this to my diet, gona have to try harder

Jackie K

My experience with PKU at college has been phenomenal, and I have heard other similar stories through the listserv and National PKU News. I am at the University of Chicago, and prior to starting the school year, my parents and I had made appointments to speak with dining/housing services about ways in which I could store and have access to make some of my low-phe meals. Getting prepared food shipped to me from home wasn’t really an option, since I’m originally from upstate New York. The staff in my dining hall not only agreed to store my foods, but also has taken over in preparing low-protein foods especially for me on a near-daily basis. We have a schedule set up, and at the beginning of each quarter, I fill out an Excel spreadsheet with the different meals that I would like for the quarter on which days, with approximate times. I work directly with our dining hall’s supervisors and head chefs, and am on a first-name basis with most of them. They go above and beyond even anything that we have asked them to do; they order supplies and mixes from Cambrooke, SHS, etc. and they also go out of their way to double check in case they are not sure if something is not acceptable to put in my dish (spices or garnishes) and often create even more elaborate meals than I requested with food that they know I can have (a vegetable jambalaya pasta instead of just spaghetti with sauce). I would encourage any of you, before going to college, to speak to dining services about your situation. It is well within your rights to do so, and you have nothing to lose with such a reasonable request. I apologize for the length of the post!

danirp24

i am recently trying to get back on diet and i know i should stick to low pro foods but the only place i know where to get them is on cambrooks website, and they are a little expensive. plus it seems to me like i will be eating the same thing over and over again. any suggestions for me?

angelbabe

i have a bunch of low pro noodles that i have more than enough. ni have enough to split between two people with pku. if you give me your address i could mail you a box of noodles and you wouldnt even have to pay for them because my charge is free i will pay to have them sent to you because i will know that i am helping a friend in dire need of some low pro foods.
    love angela

canolie

I don’t actually have PKU, but I’m doing a school project on it. I was wondering what people with PKU go through, and if anyone could give me some info I’d really appreciate it.

BreaMarie91

Hi Canolie,
    Actually if you go into the New to PKU link there is a topic called What is PKU and I wrote there to somebody else who was doing a project on PKU. After you’ve read that if you’ve got any other questions feel free to ask me and I’d be happy to answer! nBreanna 15 (soon to be 16!) w/CPKU

fierceboy87

I go to College Ive gone for a full year I took one class in the fall and took the rest of the year off. Had a hard time concentrating does anyone else w/ pku have a hard time in school. Im all registered for classes for the next fall full time. well let me know thanks.

BreaMarie91

I’m only in 10th grade but I know for a fact when my levels are high or I don’t drink my formula it does get harder for me to concentrate. Have your levels been good? Because if they have been then I’m not sure what would make it harder to concentrate besides that. nBreanna

fierceboy87

No I dont make time to make my formula. I do drink it but only when I get headachs. which I know I bringit on myself. Ive been trying to add making and drinking my formula to my routine but it never works.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
Quick Poll
Which of the following best describes you?
Parent/caregiver of an infant with PKU
Parent/caregiver of a child with PKU
Teenager with PKU
Adult with PKU
Grandparent of a child with PKU
Know someone with PKU
Healthcare professional