PKU.com Community Discussion Forum New to PKU.com pku level affecting schoolwork

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    bscherhaufer

I am a special education (504 plan) teacher and have a student with PKU, recently her level was at 18, and they called in hotline report against the mother, her test grades recently have been low. Does anyone know how quickly high pku levels can affect school work?

Tracie_PKU

Hi There, nMy name is Tracie,and back when i was in school
    my parents took me off diet.BIG MISTAKE!!!!
    I could not focus,take tests,or even make and keep friends.
    I would definitly in a loving way speak with her mom,and get her on diet or evaluated from her PKU Dr.
    I graduated,but i’m not proud of my GPA.
    I don’t blame my parents cause back in the 80’s
    the Dr’s thought our brains were fully developed,and would not be affected.
    Needless to say i pay for it now.
    Hopefully i was helpful,anymore questions feel free to ask!!!!
    Tracie-PKU

jenn_harney

high levels can effect grades right away, trust me! the longer your body has high levels of phe, the worse your schoolwork can become. it’s like constantly having a poison in your brain until you start eating healthier again. usually, mood is also effected by high levels. if you notice more irritability, depression, or anxiety, these can be due to your student’s diet. i dont know much about your situation or student, but please be aware it’s not necessarily the parent’s fault. during school years, student’s aren’t around their parents as much, so they don’t have a disciplinary figure to help them with their diet. it’s all self-discipline. so, sometimes if a kid is with a group of friends eating pizza, it’s a lot easier to eat “normal food” than bug an adult to find them something low protein. or maybe it’s easier just to eat a sandwich with normal bread at the cafeteria than bring your own special bread. it doesn’t take much to get a level in the teens. hope ur student gets better!

BreaMarie91

I agree with Jenn. Although an 18 is not a good level, we shouldn’t automatically point fingers at the parents. For the most part the diet is the parents job when their children are young, but teachers and other adults who are incharge of the child also need to know that what they are feeding the child can affect the phe levels. Plus when kids are not supervised they are more likely to eat something they shouldn’t. So this could just be an issue of the child taking foods without asking an adult whose familiar with their diet.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Quick Poll
Which of the following best describes you?
Parent/caregiver of an infant with PKU
Parent/caregiver of a child with PKU
Teenager with PKU
Adult with PKU
Grandparent of a child with PKU
Know someone with PKU
Healthcare professional