Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Hello,
    I was wondering why a level of 0.2 is not good?
    I am now breastfeeding my daughter more to make sure her level stays between 2-6. I can’t understand why o would be bad for her? If anyone understands what the levels mean I would love to learn.
    Thankyou

BreaMarie91

The reason a level that low isn’t good is because to grow our bodies still need some amount of phe. I don’t know exactly why but my dietitian did mention once to me that if phe levels are too low for too long it can cause a deficiency.
    I was told that eventually if levels are too low for too long your body can kick into catabolism. Catabolism is when the body doesn’t have enough phe or other nutrients for energy and so your body starts breaking down protein in muscle to get energy. Everybody, PKU or not, can go through catabolism, but the problem for people with PKU is that when their bodies start breaking down protein into amino acids they’re also breaking it down into phe so that can make the phe levels raise. Hope that makes sense and I hope I sort of answered why low levels can be bad. nBre

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Quick Poll
Which of the following best describes you?
Parent/caregiver of an infant with PKU
Parent/caregiver of a child with PKU
Teenager with PKU
Adult with PKU
Grandparent of a child with PKU
Know someone with PKU
Healthcare professional