PKU.com Community Discussion Forum Parent support Pregnancy & PKU

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    beckyboo
    Participant

Hi Guys,

I'm Becky and I have returned to the PKU diet after 6 years of being off to try and start a family! I have been back on diet for around a month now and I am getting on fine, if anything my levels are too LOW and I need to get them up a little bit! 

I just wanted to know, there are quite a few PKU Mums on here, and from what I can gather, there are a few women who are also trying for a baby! I just wanted to know how other people are getting on with being back on diet and hear successful stories of Mums with happy heathly children! Also to hear from anyone else who is at the same stage as me and to see how they are getting on?! 

Have many mums had children with PKU as well?? 

Look forward to hearing your stories!! x x

Loops

hey Beckyboo!!

Congratulations on your impending mommyhood and good luck!

So you are being a little too strict with yourself and your levels are too low?… hmm well that is the best way for it to be lol! most people have the opposite problem so you are doing well. As you probably know – when your levels are too low you may start to use your own muscle mass – and then your levels will spike – so its not ideal. Perhaps you simply need to increase your regular Phe intake by 1-2g…. do you have a dietitian who you can contact?

I have a 5 year old son – well he is almost 6 now… he is absolutley fine, happy healthy little boy who is doing very well at school. I got pregnant whilst off diet ( waaaaay off diet) – but I found out I was PG at less than 4 weeks… went straight onto the diet and had a perfect outcome. 

I  went 2 weeks overdue… had a beautiful natural birth and he was 7lb4oz.

The worst part of it all was my terrible morning sickness – and btw why the hell do they call it morning sickness?… mine was every bloody second of the day sickness… which made it very difficult to get my phe-suplement down. I was on Maximum… and even the thought of it would make me hurl.

I used the smell of ginger, crystalised ginger, flat ginger beer ( none alcoholic obv :-) ) – and it did help … most of the time.

would love to chat with you about PKU pregnancy !! xxx Good luck with the baby dancing!! xxx

beckyboo
    Participant

Hey Loops!

I only just seen that u replied 2my topic! I didn't know ANYONE had replied! Thanks so much!!

I just thought I would let you know, my levels did exactly what you said, they shot up suddenly! I am now 11weeks pregnant n the levels shot up about 4-6 weeks in! They have been back under control for a few weeks again now which is good! I have my scan on 16th November!

I am in constant contact via e-mail with my dietician, she is great!

Aww I have been quite lucky, I have felt nautious a lot but I haven't been sick yet….touch wood! lol! 

I am also on Maxamum and I have 2 have 4lots a day! 

I'm so greatful that you wrote back! Thanks so much! x x x x

lily231987

hi beckyboo im lynsey im 23 n iv have been bak on the pre conception diet 4 about 3 week so me n my partner can start a family of our im doin so well my first blood level wos 600 but now its at 480 it just needs to go down 230 more n keep it at that level 4 about 6 weeks then wen my dr gives me the all clear we can start tryin 4 a baby  me n my partner r vry excited how r ur blood levels goin ? i like hearin pku mums exp with pku n pregnancy

beckyboo
    Participant

Hey Lily! Ohh how exciting! :)

I am 21 weeks on Monday now! Over half way, how time flies! lol! And I'm having a lil girl :D she looks all healthy which is all I ever wanted! I didn't mind what *** the baby was as long as he or she was happy & healthy! Which it looks like she is at the moment! 

She has her own routine with when she kicks in the day and stuff! I'm so excited and happy! It was soo tough in the beginning though, check out my blog if you like?!

I have had 2scans this week so I am going to make a new blog update, so if you want to see how things are going again now, feel free to have a nose!

Also keep in touch, I would love to hear how you are gettin on, I will add you as a friend and you can message me! Feel free to ask any questions or whatever! x x x

lily231987

hi becyboo

thank u 4 ur reply 

i will have a look at ur blog will b vry intrestin to look at im glad to hear ur pregnancy is goin well i wish u n ur partner all the best hope everything gose realy well 4 u both all way thruw ur pregnancy : ) x i will let u no how things is goin 4 me ill deffo keep in touch.

r u on facebook cus ill add u if u r if that ok ?

take vry gud care of urself ill reply vry soon x

beckyboo
    Participant

Yes Lily I am on fb! I think I am known as Becky Bowman on there x x x if not let me knw ur fullname and I can try and find u x x

lily231987

ok backy ill try n add u but ill let u no if it works or not  xx

lily231987

hiya every 1 a quick question ???

does any 1 know a pku lady is plannin a pku pregnancy but blood level go help from a bit of a downer b4 she finds out she is pregnant

how long does the pregnant pku lady have to get her blood level wivin range so theres NO damage to her unborn baby n lets just say shes already about 4 weeks gone ?????????????

beckyboo
    Participant

My dietician said as long as you get the levels down by about 10 weeks hun things SHOULD be ok! But there is risk at ANY time of damage being done if levels aren't right! Scans and things will check everything is ok tho x x x

xristinaki

Hi, 

I am new to the website.  I came upon this topic and was interested to hear your opinion.  I am currently in the process of planning a pregnancy.  I am sending blood tests and they're all in a good range which I am surprised at.  I do have some issues in terms of being deficient in Vitamin D.  Anyway, my question to you ladies who are pregnant, planning or already have children, is how much interaction do you have with your nutritionist?  

At the beginning, I had some questions that I contacted my nutritionist and I either never get a response OR I have to wait one or two weeks for a response.  When I visited my clinic and asked how I can reach her best, she responded that she is not going to be able to respond to me like I want.  She said her response time is 10 days.  Is this normal???? 

I would love to hear your input! 

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Quick Poll
Which of the following best describes you?
Parent/caregiver of an infant with PKU
Parent/caregiver of a child with PKU
Teenager with PKU
Adult with PKU
Grandparent of a child with PKU
Know someone with PKU
Healthcare professional