PKU.com Community Discussion Forum Adults and PKU Question about lunch.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Lizzzy

Hi.
    I’m pretty new on here so this is my first post here. I was wondering if anyone had any good ideas of what I could bring for lunch at work that’s not to hard to make.My job has a cantine where me and my co-workers can buy pre-made sandwiches and and a selection of cheese,ham and stuff like that.But I usually get tired of eating slices of bread so that is why I’m asking for help. Anyone has any good ideas?
    Lizzzy

batwoman

well first of all….how many exchanges are you on?? Is that regular bread that you have or is it P.K.U bread? my lunch is salad…no cheese or anything…i get it from a subway sandwich place…. give me ashout and i will go through some options with you…

isabel1

Hi, do you have access to a microwave? If you do, it’s a lot easier as you can take in meals you’ve prepared and heat them up such as potato with ratatouille or PKU pasta with a sauce of some sort (I can send you some recipes for pasta sauces if you wish) or a vegetable soup. If you aren’t able to get to a microwave the best thing to do is to bake. I bake scones and take in a salad with them as I find that a salad on it’s own just doesn’t fill me up. YOu could make a bruschetta sauce -tomato paste with garlic, fresh basil, olive oil, black pepper, sundried tomatoes, onions cooked together at a low heat and let cool. If you make up a large amount of this and take some in to spread on the PKU bread it makes it a lot more interesting and palatable. The best thing is variety. A little of several things. take some fruit in – a good ripe orange you’ll enjoy or half an avacado with some vinagraitte sauce, some PKU bread with bruschetta spread, a small salad etc. I hope this helps a little. Isabel

Tracie_PKU

Hi there,
    I know its not easy trying to figure out what to eat and what not to. nAs for myself i pre-make all my food. nWhat is really good is baked Butternut Squash. nMarinate all your veggies to give extra flavor. nFor example: nWe BBQ the other day (Block Party)
    I marinated Zucinni, mushrooms ,and 1/4 c of Tofu.
    It was Yummy and somewhat filling. nThat is where the Butternut Squash comes in. nVery filling. nJust experiment with spices and bacon bits to flavor everything. nAnother Potato cakes cheap and filling. nHang in there. nYou can do it……..

Tracie_PKU

Hey there,
    Its Tracie again.
    Heres a good one Lizzy.
    Try having to prepare our kind of food, then
    prepare your family’s.
    Non of them have PKU.
    So i cook twice.
    Once for me ,and then once for them.
    Its harder than heck.
    Especially when i have to touch raw meat.
    That is just nasty to me,but i live and learn, and move on.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Quick Poll
Which of the following best describes you?
Parent/caregiver of an infant with PKU
Parent/caregiver of a child with PKU
Teenager with PKU
Adult with PKU
Grandparent of a child with PKU
Know someone with PKU
Healthcare professional