PKU.com Community Discussion Forum New to PKU.com Questions about formula

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Confruzled

hi everyone!

I am 31 years old and have hyperphe. When I was younger, my levels stayed low enough after introducing solid foods that my mother was told that I would not need to follow the diet. She was told that I would need to avoid drinks sweetened with aspartame and that when I got pregnant, I would need to go on diet.

Fast forward about 30 years: I'm unexpectedly pregnant and just started on diet for he first time in my life. My dietitian gave me several samples of different formulas, which I've been trying, but I'm not sure how to count them. She told me that a normal amount of protein would be 70 g, and to limit my intake to 10 g for now. The rest should come from formula, if I'm understanding correctly. 

My problem is this… How do I know how much each formula counts for? I downloaded an app that seems to be really helpful for logging and calculating proteins and phe in foods, but the amounts it gives for the formulas don't match what's on the outside of the packets. For example, the phlexy 10 packet says 20 g, but the app says 8.3 for 20 g of formula. How do I count it? I want to be sure I'm taking the right amount.

jakesmom

Its best to talk to your dietain if you are uncertain Sarah. Jacob was also originally diagnosed Hyperphe, however, when he was beginning to start solid foods, it was established this was not the case, and he began diet and specialized foods. When our dietian gave us natural protein amount, it is what he can have in addition to his formula amount. However, it seems to vary from country to country and even state to state (province to province in our case). Best to check with the medical professional handling your specific case.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Quick Poll
Which of the following best describes you?
Parent/caregiver of an infant with PKU
Parent/caregiver of a child with PKU
Teenager with PKU
Adult with PKU
Grandparent of a child with PKU
Know someone with PKU
Healthcare professional