Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    flyweil

i have a girlfriend that has this disease and im fine with it! does anyone know a great recipe i can cook for her?

BreaMarie91

I have tons of recipes that I absolutely love, but I am not sure what kind of a recipe you would be looking for. Would you be able to talk to her, or her family, and find out what her favorite recipe is?
    Breanna

monika26

well i actually have a question about food…now that my son is 1 and starting to eat a lot more it seems everytime i try and introduce something new i can never find any info on how much phe it has..i always end up calling the dieticians and then  i dont get an answer. what i wonder is if im just too strict and when something says 0 protein on the package i should not even call about …for example Dole cherry mixed fruit in light syrup..you find this on the shelf of any grocery store they are little cups of fruit.. well the back says 0 protein yet i cant find this in the pku food list book nor online. so i call the docs to find out and they call dole which never calls back so i dont get an answer. My question is does everyone find out for each food exactly how much phe is in it or do you figure if something says 0 protein its fine to give ???hope i can hear some advice 

rmbrewer12

Monkia,
    The book is called Low Protein Food List for PKU. You can order it off the My Special Diet webpage. Here is a link that should take you right to it: http://www.myspecialdiet.com/Shop/Search.aspx?t=department&browse=y&i=35. I have a 1 year old also  and this will break everything down for you, it is a must have for PKU.

Rachel

monika26

i have the book and the problem is some of the things i want to give him arent in the book. or in the updated version online. so thats what i wonder because there are lots of foods that seem good for pku only i cant find any info on it.

rmbrewer12

Yeah I know what you mean, it just takes time to get the information and have it published. Good thing is that there are a lot of foods in the book. I tend to use my blender a lot with veggies and fruits to give my son. We just stay away from the stuff that is not listed so we can know exactly how much phe my son is getting.

sue
    Participant

Thanks for the information on the book — I was looking for recipes and was always at a loss. I will order this book right away.

Eugene
    Participant

I have that book too. You can also look at the USDA database http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/

Just type in what you want and it will tell you the protein and in many cases it has PHE. I am going to be using this database in my app for calculating PHE and excanges in the food you eat daily.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Quick Poll
Which of the following best describes you?
Parent/caregiver of an infant with PKU
Parent/caregiver of a child with PKU
Teenager with PKU
Adult with PKU
Grandparent of a child with PKU
Know someone with PKU
Healthcare professional