PKU.com Community Discussion Forum Adults and PKU Relationships & Cooking Meals

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    sarahl
    Participant

Hi all, I'm a PKU adult, age 30. I have been going back & forth between being on & off diet constantly since my teens. Dating relationships have been tricky & usually I end up eating way more & eating out often when I'm in a relationship. It makes it really hard to control the diet. My boyfriend recently attended an informational meeting on PKU with me. He's now really supportive about helping me manage my diet, but I'm trying to cook at home more to avoid salad boredom & overeating from going out. Does anyone have any ideas for meals that only take a few simple steps to improvise for the diet? Ie–I recently made taco salad and used seasoned fried bread & corn for my portion. The other night I made a roast for him & just ate the veggie parts for myself. I'm running out of ideas though. Any suggestions for handling making meals in relationships? Looking for specific ideas…

katiemag16
    Participant

How about stir fry veggies?  Cook chicken seperately for it…. And if you can eat white rice – great!  But, if not – you can add your low-pro pasta to it….

pkuchris

how about a vegetable spaghetti sauce and for your boyfriends portion you could add italian sausage.

sarahl
    Participant

Thanks for the suggestions. I hope people keep them coming. I really should have titled this something like cooking for non-PKUers. I don't know how many other people out there do that often, but I like entertaining & cooking for others. Sometimes cooking things I can't eat actually makes me feel better about not being able to try them…kind of weird, I know.  Anyway, my boyfriend is the non-PKU person I cook for most frequently…I guess I'll keep trying to be creative. Life is so much easier when I stick with the diet , but it sometimes feels like so much work :).

katiemag16
    Participant

I love to cook for my family too.  For some odd reason, I don't mind at all when I cannot eat (or even try) them to see if they taste right.  It's kind of a joke in the family how I can cook fairly well, but not be able to try the things.  I am sure you will hear other responses on here… Chris – your idea sounds good!  I actually make veggie sauce all the time… I make a ton of it on a day I'm around the house (homeade) and then freeze it so it is always there….. another idea would be to make a pot of just veggie and another with just sausage (and veggies if you want) then freeze them labeled in seperate containers… following diet can be tough and challenging at times, but the reward of feeling good makes it worth it!!! : )

Kellie

Hi

We eat a lot of meat and vegies in our house but I also make pizza, vege for me and meat for hubby and kids, spag bol with just the jar sauce for me with some extra vegies through, home made hamburgers with meat patties for them and vegie patty for me. i always keep frozen vegie patties in the freezer. I also always keep low protein pizza bases in the freezer ready to go. We also have potatos in their jackets with sour cream, tomaotoe chopped, pineapple, coleslaw and bacon or mince for the others. Thats all I can think of for now but will keep my thinking cap on!! Some great ideas though guys!! The chorizo sausage is a great idea!! i never thought of that!

Kellie

Hi

We eat a lot of meat and vegies in our house but I also make pizza, vege for me and meat for hubby and kids, spag bol with just the jar sauce for me with some extra vegies through, home made hamburgers with meat patties for them and vegie patty for me. i always keep frozen vegie patties in the freezer. I also always keep low protein pizza bases in the freezer ready to go. We also have potatos in their jackets with sour cream, tomaotoe chopped, pineapple, coleslaw and bacon or mince for the others. Thats all I can think of for now but will keep my thinking cap on!! Some great ideas though guys!! The chorizo sausage is a great idea!! i never thought of that!

katiemag16
    Participant

Kellie… You just made me super hungry… that all sounds delicious…. I used to make Veggie pizza all the time!  Yummmm it's been awhile.

Kellie

Veggie pizza used to be a staple when i was little and I didn't do it for such a long time after i moved out of home but I have been having quiet a few lately. you can even make the pizza and cook it and then freeze it then reheat it in the oven and it reheats really well with a nice crisp base. So easy. 

Stir fry vegies is something that I haven't had for ages!!! i think it will be on the menu very soon!! it is a great meal that you can add meat to easily. :) 

Cook4Love

The Penne A la vodka recipe, mushroom tacos and mushroom fajitas on Cook for Love are easily made into low and high protein recipes.  Just make two pasta versions for the pasta, chopped meat to add to the mushroom tacos and grill a steak for the fajitas.  Check out the recipes and let me know what you guys are looking for more of.  I am working from a parent perspective but really want to be able to come up with ideas for adults with PKU. 

Brenda
    http://www.cookforlove.org

Jinx

Hi  I'm the mom of a 22 year old son with Pku. He attends Queens University majoring in math and computer science. He's had Pku from birth. Don't know any other people his age around Kingston with this. We stumbled onto this sight by accident lokking for updates on food listings.

Jinx

oops ment looking.

Jinx

Anyone know a great site for updated food list with phnyl amounts?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
Quick Poll
Which of the following best describes you?
Parent/caregiver of an infant with PKU
Parent/caregiver of a child with PKU
Teenager with PKU
Adult with PKU
Grandparent of a child with PKU
Know someone with PKU
Healthcare professional