PKU.com Community Discussion Forum New to PKU.com Research for a project

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

I am doing research on PKU  for a project and I am looking for people who have it to share their  personal and emotional hardships with this disorder. It has been hard to find that considering most websites just talk about the medical affects. I am looking forward to hearing your stories
     Pleas try and get them to me by 4/14/11

sarahl
    Participant

Hi, send me an email with questions and I would be happy to answer.

Anonymous

Mainly I am looking for some medical and social impacts PKU has had on you. More social than medical, thanks! :)

pku123

Hi guys, I'm new on this site and its because Im doing research and a presentation on people who have PKU.
    I've done alot of research this past week but im still a little confused! I was hoping anyone on this site would be able to help :-)
    I understand people with PKU need to drink a formula starting at a very young age. Does one drink the formula forever? I watched a few youtube videos where a pku patient was taking supplmental pills AND a formula. Is this needed? (what are the pills?–do you take the pills instead of a formula when you get older?)

Basically, Im just wondering–what supplments MUST somebody take everyday if they have pku? and Wha are the phe levels that you MUST stay under/above? Are there certain corresponding numbers or a ratio of phe you must stay under? I keep seeing refrences on websites about maintaing certain Phe levels/numbers….but can anybody tell me what this is?

Thank you all so much!! youre all amazing!!! and I'm glad I have the opportunity to do a presentation on PKU and learn more about your lifestyles!!!!

TKEchris

Hey, shoot me a message with questions because it has different effects for men and women.

TKEchris

Due to long text data is deleted

pku123

Also,
    Ive read a few times that insurance doesn't cover formula for pku. If you dont mind me asking, how much do you have to pay for your phenylade (or other types of formula) on a monthly basis? and how long does the formula last? is it very expensive?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Quick Poll
Which of the following best describes you?
Parent/caregiver of an infant with PKU
Parent/caregiver of a child with PKU
Teenager with PKU
Adult with PKU
Grandparent of a child with PKU
Know someone with PKU
Healthcare professional