PKU.com Community Discussion Forum Generation PKU Restaurants and Eating Out

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    jenn_harney

I LOVE eating at sit-down restaurants. However, it can be really hard to find stuff that’s ok for me to eat. I don’t go to a nice restaurant just so I can order a boring side salad. I usually get some sort of pasta dish. However, afterwards my level is probably through the roof due to all that pasta. What do you guys order at restaurants that still keeps your level in check? and PLEASE don’t tell me you get a salad!!!

Tracie_PKU

Hi Jen, nMy name is Tracie,and i too like to go to resturants. nWhat i tend to do is talk to the waiter or waitress,and explain that there is alot i am allergic to on the menu. nDepending on the place you go(if its a nice one)They (chef)will usually make you something special.
    I did that in La.Ca. when i went to a Indian Cusine rest.The chef was quite accomidating.
    Kind of have a plan what you want to eat,and tell your server.You will probably be pleasantly surprised.(I was)
    For myself the Chef made me a special plate of Spiced veggies,laid over a flavored rice. nAlso for deserts look at Sorbet.1 gram of protein per half cup.(45 PHE’s)
    How many PHE’s are you allowed?
    I am Borderline PKU,and allowed 60 grams of protein or 2700 PHE’s.Which is alot.
    I hope i was helpful for you!
    If you want to talk i’m always on or just checking the site for questions.
    Take care,and good luck.
    Tracie-PKU

mayrogers13

I will tell you I get a salad. I also have some form of a potato or vegetable or rice. That is what I have had for the last 20 years of my life. I have never gone off the diet and I am very strict about what I eat nowadays. I would never imagine eating pasta. A serving from a restaurant on average will have around 22 grams of protein, I am only allowed 5. I would say try talking to chefs, or if you aren’t embarrassed by it, try bringing PKU pasta to a restaurant and asking them to prepare that instead.

jenn_harney

thanx for ur input, but it wasn’t too helpful for me. salads are blah-boring-crunchy rabbit food. i said no salads for a reason. also, getting a side like rice has quite a bit of phe in it as well. the only reason it’s less than pasta is because of the portion size. if i bring my own pasta to a restaurant, is the restaurant going to charge me for the pasta I BRING?? that’s an arguement waiting to happen. the same thing already happens to me when i order a taco with guacomole at amigos. i get charged extra for the guac EVEN THOUGH i’m not getting any meat or cheese.

BreaMarie91

When I go out to eat I usually settle for fries and a salad, but I guess it depends where I go. Some places have fruit/veggie plates and I get those instead of a salad. I just search the menu when I get there and then pick =).

catcocoa

Hi everone I don’t know how to count phe I don’t understand how to do it. Can anyone explane it to me. My levels are up and down.can anyone help me. nCatcocoa.

Tracie_PKU

COLOR=blue]HI Cat,
    Its Tracie. nFor your PHE count it goes like this: nFor every 1gram of protein= 45 PHE’s.
    So it kind of depends on how many PHE’s your allowed.
    For example i am allowed:60 grams of protein a day,which = to 2700 PHE’s a day.
    I know its alot.
    Hopefully i was helpful.
    Tracie-PKU [/COLOR]

Tracie_PKU

[/COLOR][COLOR=blue]Hi Jen, nSorry i was not helpful.
    I know what you mean on Salad being boring. nMy daughter calls me a rabbit all the time.LOL
    It gets very frustrating when were kind of stuck eating the same type of food.
    Especailly when we go out to eat. nResturaunts i swear are just trying to make a buck.
    I know there are some PKU resturants but very few.
    I will look it up for you,and see what i find.K
    Hang in there.
    Tracie-PKU

Rach_08

HI JAN HARNY MY NAME IS RACHAEL, I’M 28 AND I LIVE IN AUSTRALIA, I HAVE TOUBLE WITH EATING OUT ITS GOTTEN THAT WAY THAT WHEN MY FAMILY GO OUT FOR TEA THEY DON’T INVITE ME, I DON’T EAT ANYTHING EALSE BUT CHIPS WHEN I EAT OUT CAUSE THE VEGIES THEY GIVE YOU AT SOME PLACES ONLY GIVE YOU 2 BITS OF VEGIES AND THE SALAD DOESN’T FILL ME AT ALL! BUT I HAVE TRIED TAKING MY PKU PASTA TO THE RESTRANT WITH US, WE COOKED IT BEFORE WE WENT OUT AND ASK THEM IF THEY COULD HEAT IT UP FOR ME AND THE STAFF BROUGHT IT OUT WITH EVERYONES MEALS,I DIDN’T GET CHARGED FOR THAT, ONLY THE DRINKS THAT I HAD!

beckyb

I’m off diet now, but when I used to follow the diet it used to be very hard! I used to have a plate of chips and if any of my family ever said anything about what I had wrong with me, they used to be quite complimentary. I remember 1 resaurant, they brought me out a massive plate of vegetables with my chips and asked if I wanted any fruit for afters! I’m sure if you explain the situation, most restaurants will be very accommodating =D

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Quick Poll
Which of the following best describes you?
Parent/caregiver of an infant with PKU
Parent/caregiver of a child with PKU
Teenager with PKU
Adult with PKU
Grandparent of a child with PKU
Know someone with PKU
Healthcare professional