PKU.com Community Discussion Forum That’s PKU life! school lunches

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    c_pickle

do schools have too buy and perpare low protien foods for us

BreaMarie91

It depends on where you live. As far as I know every state in the US has to provide low protein lunchs for kids with PKU if the parents ask. When I was in 4th grade my mom threatened to get a lawyer if the school wouldn’t make me lunches. nThey don’t make me lunches anymore though, I decided it was easier just to do everything on my own. My little sister still gets hot lunches though. nBre

c_pickle

well today i talked to my lunch room manager and her boss and they said they would gladly make low protien foods so im pretty happy about that

BreaMarie91

That’s cool!! My mom had to fight with my school when I was little. Once I started high school there were just so many other options for lunch that I didn’t really want a low pro lunch anymore.

Anonymous

when i was in school my family couldnt affrod low pro food and alot of people in my home town have never heard of pku so my mom would make my lunches and they conisted of my milk, applesauce, jam cracker sandwiches,a fruit cup, adn a fruit roll up, as i got older and started making ym own lunches i took salads , or pasta salads and cookies, i always too applesauce too. i totally forgot about all the lunches my mom made for me and all the foods she tried to add to get me to eat, like marshmellos and crakers or skittles. i only remember beacuse since our house flooded i havent been able to bake or cook my fav low pro foods and so today i made my jam craker sandwiches and brought some applesace, pinapple and a cearl bar. it was actually quiet good and surprisingly low pro lol. just thought id share that incase ur looking for ideas for school lunches or work lunches, if im in a bind i can go for a thermos of tomatoe soup or mushroom soup. i just use the campbell soups but i add water instead of milk.

c_pickle

the tomato soup sounds like a great idea did the cearl bar have milk in it

Anonymous

oddly enought it didnt have enough to matter. i dont keep records of my food or even count exchnages or phe. i look at the nutrion facts and if it has less then 2 grams of protein then i can eat it , if its higher then i cant touch it. cole my boyfriend made this rule and we have lived by it for 2 yrs and i brougth my leves from 20-5 . so if frootloops ceral has 1 gram i can eat it , but rice cripies or specail k has 2 then i cant. does this make sense? i hope im not confusing u lol

c_pickle

no i understand

Anonymous

ok good lol

Tracie_PKU

Wow bre i had no idea that the public schools could do that. nThats awesome,and KUDOS to your MOM for fighting for it.
    Question were they any good?
    See Ya, nTracie-PKU

BreaMarie91

Yeah, they made low protein foods that I usually eat. For example if the other students were eating pizza, corn, and peaches they would make me low protein pizza and I would get the corn and peaches along with orange juice. Basically my mom gives them the recipes and they make the food at our high school and then send it to my sisters elementary on Monday and they freeze it for the week and then cook it as needed.

Tracie_PKU

HI Bre,
    That is just awesome.
    When i was in school i was too embarassed
    so i would wait till i got home to eat.

NOT TO HEALTHY!!

Talk to you soon,
    Tracie-PKU

death1

when i went to school my parints hede to bring in state a fishols , dcotors, and nutrishanis.

death1

to git them to make the food.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
Quick Poll
Which of the following best describes you?
Parent/caregiver of an infant with PKU
Parent/caregiver of a child with PKU
Teenager with PKU
Adult with PKU
Grandparent of a child with PKU
Know someone with PKU
Healthcare professional