PKU.com Community Discussion Forum New to PKU.com Searching for Medical help PLZ

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    coolh_inks

I am 27 and have not followed my diet in about a decade. I am now worried and trying to get my levels checked. I do not have Insurance and want to know if i have any help available to me? Is there any state or federal aide for me to get either myself checked and or get me on those new pills? Are they even an option? I am in desperate need of some help here, and it would be greatly appreciated.

BreaMarie91

I’m not sure what the laws are when it comes to the diet in New York. I think if you go to http://www.pkunews.org there is a page that tells what each state is required to pay.
    As far as I know nobody is being turned down the chance to try Kuvan (the pills) because of financial reasons. When my parents found out their co-pay for a 3 month supply of Kuvan for me was $50 Biomarin contacted my mom and they were willing to help with even that small fee if it was too much for us. Biomarin is helping everybody and anybody who wants to give Kuvan a try.
    When you do start going to a PKU clinic (if you haven’t already started) talk with your doctor/dietitian and see if they can help. If you don’t know what clinics treat PKU in New York go to http://www.macpad.org go to the links section and clinic clinics. It lists all the clinics in the US.
    Hope this helps!

Tracie_PKU

Hi there, nTry not to panick. nContact Biomarin the maker of KUVAN,and i am sure they will send you a 45 day free supply nuntil insurance kicks in. nThat is exactly what i had to do.
    I am a little older than you,and have been off diet for over 10 yrs.(Just started back 1 month ago)
    Here is the contact # for BIOMARIN: n415-506-6700
    Take care, nTracie-PKU
    I will do a friend req. if you need more help.K

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Quick Poll
Which of the following best describes you?
Parent/caregiver of an infant with PKU
Parent/caregiver of a child with PKU
Teenager with PKU
Adult with PKU
Grandparent of a child with PKU
Know someone with PKU
Healthcare professional