PKU.com Community Discussion Forum Adults and PKU Should I be tested?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    megamandos

I never even heard of this until I decided to try and figure out why I get massive headaches and get slightly dizzy after just a couple pieces of gum that have that WARNING: Contains Phenylketonurics written on the package. So I googled phenylketonurics headache and wound up here. And how do you get tested for it? I get headaches from other consumables too, like Africola and TaB Cola, which both contain phenylketonurics. Right now I am in the navy so health care is free for the time being and I would like to get this checked out if there is a need, but would rather not waste a doctor's time.

BreaMarie91

PKU is detected through a blood test called the Newborn Screening that is usually done shortly after birth. If PKU is not diagnosed and treated shortly after birth in most cases it can cause seizures and eventually mental retardation.

In my opinion (although I am not a doctor, so if you are still concerned please see a doctor) if you have not experienced other issues such as severe learning difficulties, behavior problems, trouble concentrating, etc you probably do not have PKU. I have heard people complain that aspartame gives them headaches, so it isn't that uncommon.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have other questions.

gracie1605
    Participant

I would agree with Breanne you do not probably have PKU that would require a diet restriction, but I would cut aspartame out of your diet, aspartame it not good for anyone and it is toxic to the brain for anyone…but it especially damaging to people with pku because they can't process this amino acid properly…I have heard of many people having these types of issues with aspartame with different levels of severity.

There would be no harm in getting the blood spot done that way you would never have to question it but you would have to go to a doctor to get the results and they may not think it necessary to do the test…Let us know what you find out…

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Quick Poll
Which of the following best describes you?
Parent/caregiver of an infant with PKU
Parent/caregiver of a child with PKU
Teenager with PKU
Adult with PKU
Grandparent of a child with PKU
Know someone with PKU
Healthcare professional