PKU.com Community Discussion Forum Parent support Should I Be Worried?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Poppycorn95

My foster daughter is 16 months old. The Metabolism Clinic said that she is about 5 months delayed. I’m wondering if she has a neurological disorder from her diet being so out of whack while in her birth home.
    Ever since she was placed in my home (end of November) she is constantly falling down. I mean, she’ll just be standing there and suddenly fall backwards! We’ve tried taking her shoes off, having her run around with just a diaper on to see if it was the pants tripping her up and nothing helps the falling.
    At first we attributed it to her ear infection, but she has finished all the meds and is still falling down.
    To make matters worse, her mother is making allegations that we are abusing this child, because she is constantly finding little bruises on her. (From falling down!)
    She doesn’t just fall at my home. She falls when she is on her supervised visitations as well. The difference is that the birth mother walks around with her arms behind her ready to catch her at all times. I just don’t have time to do that here at home.
    Do you think she is falling down because she’s delayed, or could it be a neurological issue? We don’t have another metabolism clinic appointment for another month, but I may have to call and discuss this with them before then.

Anonymous

i would call them right away, it may be nerological or becuase she is delayed. though when i was a kid i tripped alot, over anythign and im still very clumbsy, and its not pku related its my bones adn my body. as a kid ihad to have specal shoes made of had to wear hiking boots cause i have week ankles and fell over alot cause they clould hold my legs and me up, this may be something to have looked at to. it could be that her bones are to week adn she may have a iron or calcium definceny. nim sorry i cant be more help , i havent really heard alot on the subjcet.
    let me know what u find out, id be curious to know.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Quick Poll
Which of the following best describes you?
Parent/caregiver of an infant with PKU
Parent/caregiver of a child with PKU
Teenager with PKU
Adult with PKU
Grandparent of a child with PKU
Know someone with PKU
Healthcare professional