PKU.com Community Discussion Forum Parent support Sick and phe levels

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    ktbmcb

My son, Connor, is almost 9 months old. I have noticed when he is sick with a cold or teething his levels seem to drop to below 0 like 0.2-0.6. When this happens he does not sleep well and is very cranky. I was wondering if anyone has noticed that their chidren’s levels drop when they are sick? nAlso, does it make you feel sick when your levels are low? Connor’s levels have not been above 6.2 since he was about 4 months old. I appreciate any information anyone has to share. nThanks!

jammnm

Hi there nMy son always has high levels when he is sick. I do notice that when his levels are not in range (low or high) he is very cranky. His levels are usually in range except for the occassional growth spurt or sickness. Good luck!

rmbrewer12

I can always tell when my 11 month olds PHE level is off. When they are too low he sleeps a lot and when they are too high he is very irritable. When he gets sick they are usually a lot higer than normal, but at the same time he doesn’t want to eat when he is sick so that drops them low. In the end they usually end up being in the normal range but on the high end.

jenn_harney

Yah, too high or low phe levels can definitely correspond to your child's mood! Usually though I hear of levels going up when a child is sick. Having a fever causes your phe levels to rise, so it is very important to take a fever reducer if that happens. I don't really know how to explain your child's LOW phe levels. Is he just not eating as much?? That's the only explanation I could think of.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Quick Poll
Which of the following best describes you?
Parent/caregiver of an infant with PKU
Parent/caregiver of a child with PKU
Teenager with PKU
Adult with PKU
Grandparent of a child with PKU
Know someone with PKU
Healthcare professional