PKU.com Community Discussion Forum Parent support sickness and PKU

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

I know fevers raise phes but what else can you tell me about flus, colds, stomach and other illnesses? Do they affect PKU patients?

BreaMarie91

PKU patients get sick from time to time just like any other ‘normal’ person (whatever normal means). Yes, their levels will get higher while they are sick but everything else is usually the same. I found when I’m sick it helps alot if I drink alot of my formula, and you may have to check because I know alot of medicines do have some phenylalanine in them.

BreaMarie91

When people with PKU are sick it does raise there phe levels alittle (which is a good reason why I don’t do my levels if I’m sick and I put it off for a few days). You wouldn’t really do much different for a PKU child then you would for any other child if they’re sick. Although, it has always helped me alittle when I’m sick to drink alittle more of my formula. Also if you even give your baby medicine you may want to check the box to make sure there aren’t warnings that it contains Phenylalanine or ask your doctor before giving your baby medicine because alot of medicines do have some Phe in them.
    Hope this helped alittle! nBreanna

medina2009
    Participant

so, what about the time that he should have his vaccines. should we increase his formula?

BreaMarie91

Medina,

Your son should be okay when he gets his immunizations without increasing his formula. Even if his phe levels do increase I don't think it would be seriously high. Plus it is important to get your child healthy when they are sick, and deal with PKU later.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Quick Poll
Which of the following best describes you?
Parent/caregiver of an infant with PKU
Parent/caregiver of a child with PKU
Teenager with PKU
Adult with PKU
Grandparent of a child with PKU
Know someone with PKU
Healthcare professional