PKU.com Community Discussion Forum Parent support Starter foods (finger foods)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    KristiKon

I’b curious as to what types of finger foods, snacks, etc. any of you used for your babies when they were learning to self feed. With my first, we used the traditional cheerios, goldfish, gerber veggie cracker, those gerber star things that melt in the mouth, etc. But I’m not sure which of those, if any, Ashley will be allowed to have when that time comes. Just though I’d throw that out there to get some input. Thanks!
    –Kriati

lol, thats funny, i was about to make a post basically asking the same exact thing!!! and baby food too!!! i’m pretty sure Tanner will be able to have like the 1st stage, but i’m not sure bout after that!! did people’s parents actually process their food?!?

BreaMarie91

I’m not sure the phe in Gerber foods, but I think somebody told me that most Gerber finger foods are low. I think if you actually call the Gerber company they are usually willing to give you the phe amounts in their foods. I’m not sure the phone number, but the address is simply gerber.com. nHope this helps! nBre

kycats2165

My son is 8months old we live in cincy in indy how are the clinics

HappyMom

Hello, nEaston is now almost two years old and doing very well on the diet. Finger foods…Easton loves the Gerber Fruit Puffs, Veggie Puffs, Kix and raisins. He didn’t really care for the Veggie Crackers. We didn’t use Cheerios because they were too high in Phe’s. 1/2 cup of Kix is 40 Phe. Easton is allowed 225 Phe is a day so Kix makes a good breakfast. We add a little of his formula or rice milk rather than cow milk. Bananas cut in little pieces work well. Gerber also has freeze dried fruit pieces and corn pieces for finger foods.
    Sarah

Poppycorn95

My foster daughter is 15 months old, but really just starting to self feed. She likes any type of cereal, the gerber puffs, cooked carrots (with brown sugar and butter) cut in very small bites, and bananas cut in small bites.

I actually go to the children’s hospital…Riley…i absolutely LOVE the staff!! They are always on call or if i need any help they are always able to help!! And even better they are right down the street!!!

Poppycorn95

We go to Riley Children’s Hospital as well. I love how if I have any questions I just have to call them up and they never act impatient.

SammysMom

Wow… I never felt like I would EVER be the one to give PKU advice because I always feel like I’m asking for it! *L* My daughter Sammy is almost two now. She likes the gerber fruit chews. They are not chewy like normal fruit chews and they are only 2 grams of phe per packet. Sammy also ate the gerber puffs and wagon wheels. Just make sure you buy the veggie ones and not the cheese. As far as breakfast goes, we feed her 1/2 cup of fruity pebbles which is only 27grams of phe. Which is not really a finger food, but at first we were feeding it to her. We also buy manderine oranges in the little cups. You drain the juice and then she can just eat the oranges as is.
    I know it’s a bit early, but they make special PKU food that you can order. One of our grocery stores here in Florida orders it for us but you can also do it online. Sammy REALLY loves the PKU cheese but it’s a little high in phe, 29 grams per slice.
    Hope this helps! Let me know if you want more info, I could keep going! *L*

KristiKon

Thanks for all of the options girls! I will definately look into getting the Phe content from Gerber, unless any of you happen to have it handy . Sammysmommy, which grocery store in FL orders low pro food for you? I was just wondering since I live in FL also. Thanks again everybody for your responses!
    –Kristi

HappyMom

I have some Phe information. The Gerber wagon wheels, Fruit: 3 Pieces are 17 Phe. Gerber wagon wheels, Vegetable: 3 Pieces are 23 Phe. Gerber Veggie Crackers: 10 crackers are 25 Phe. Gerber fruit juice snacks: 1 packet is 2 Phe. Hope that helps. nSarah

HappyMom

I have some Phe information. The Gerber wagon wheels, Fruit: 3 Pieces are 17 Phe. Gerber wagon wheels, Vegetable: 3 Pieces are 23 Phe. Gerber Veggie Crackers: 10 crackers are 25 Phe. Gerber fruit juice snacks: 1 packet is 2 Phe. Hope that helps. nSarah

KristiKon

Thanks Sarah! I’m writing those numbers down right now for future use. Did you have to call gerber directly to get that info?
    I can’t believe that in just a few months, I’ll be trying to make PKU birthday cake. Any good recipes out there for that? What really stinks about Ashley haveing PKU is that I can’t cook!!! Guess I better start learning fast, eh?
    –Kristi

SammysMom

Kristi:
    The publix in Tampa actually has a PKU aisle, but I don’t live in Tampa so I just called my local publix and asked them to order food. My store doesn’t order as much as the one in Tampa. But the Tampa manager told me that I can request food to be interoffice mailed to my publix.
    As far as the PHE content, I have a book that we had to buy. I think it was about $100 but it contains the PHE amounts of all foods, gerber included. Of course it’s like a bible to us, we live by it everyday. Sammy’s doctor gave us “the baby food” section when sammy was just starting out on foods and it included all those finger foods. I wish I could fax u that section somehow.

SammysMom

Oh, and about the cake… *rolls eyes* I had a hellova time with that last year with Sammy’s first birthday. My mother in law had actually bought me a PKU cookbook. But like u, I’m not a cook so I didn’t pick it up until right before Sammys birthday to find a cake to bake. I never was able to round up all the ingridents for it. Some of them are special PKU things that you have to specially order. Thank goodness this year, I have a pre-mix cake in a box for her. I think it’s made my dietary specialties. I’ll have to try to look up where u can order it online.
    Oh and in case u are wondering, we ended up making this “quick cake” from the PKU cookbook that said for us to buy a normal vanilla cake and replace the eggs with applesauce. Each slice was 85 grams of phe but I figured she’d probably only eat the frosting anyway. The whole thing almost fell apart when we tried to take it out of the pan! *L* We ended up keeping it in the pan and handed that way to Sammy! She made quite a mess, but it was a lot of fun.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
Quick Poll
Which of the following best describes you?
Parent/caregiver of an infant with PKU
Parent/caregiver of a child with PKU
Teenager with PKU
Adult with PKU
Grandparent of a child with PKU
Know someone with PKU
Healthcare professional