PKU.com Community Discussion Forum What’s the Phe? Stress and Anxiety

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

I don't know about anyone else but i find it very hard to stick to my diet.
    i am starting to get symptoms for it: Stress, Anxiety and unable to concentrate.
    I have been stressed for along time now and Anxiety is causing me to have pankic attacks.
    I also think that stress and anxiety i causing my other health problems e.g. fibromyalgia. I have
    quiet alot of the symptoms and i am going to see my GP on thrusday 27th. but i would
    really like some advice, from someone who knows what there talking about like someone who's
    gone throught the same sort of thing.  

evee2009

hi i know just what your talking about i was like that. my levels are so high at the min and sometimes i get depression and panick atacks its not nice but what i have done to try and help me is writing menus for each day of what im gonna eat and sticking to the exchanges im aloud and making sure i drink my medicine. i pin it up on the cupboard so when i get up in the morning i know what im having to day. at the min im on 12 exchanges and i found it so diffcuit to do this  at first but i have now realised that my levels is not gonna come down its self  and i think to feel better in your self you need to think really hard and plan your meals it will get better but u need to be strong and u need alot of support around u so its good your going to your gp thats a big step you can do if you want some one to talk to im here you can do it so dont put your self down :-) yours evee

mayrogers13

I used to find it difficult to manage but now it actually isn't that bad. I mean… sure it would be nice to have a burger and a beer with friends but I know that sticking to my diet keeps me healthy and there are so many products out there now a days to open our diets that helps us.

Meaghan Younf

20 years old

CPKU

5 grams of protein a day

BreaMarie91

I was the same as Meaghan. I found the diet difficult when I was younger. I did not like drinking my formula, and I thought writing down what I ate on a daily basis was too much of a hassle. Today I see PKU as another part of my life. Everybody has something, and PKU is just what we have.

I guess you just have to find something to motivate you to follow your diet. For me I decided to get back on track when I started seeing a new doctor and dietitian. In a way I felt like I was being given a chance to start over, and I was determined to prove to my new doctor and dietitian that I could control my diet. I did not want them to see me as the child who did whatever she wanted when she wanted like my previous doctor and dietition did.

Here's my suggestion: figure out what makes the diet hard for you. For some people it's the formula. Other people just don't like the taste of the low protein foods etc. Once you know why the diet is hard for you speak with your doctor or dietitian, or let everyone here know, and I am sure we can all help.

Good luck!

Breanna Hardy 18 CPKU

BreaMarie91

I was the same as Meaghan. I found the diet difficult when I was younger. I did not like drinking my formula, and I thought writing down what I ate on a daily basis was too much of a hassle. Today I see PKU as another part of my life. Everybody has something, and PKU is just what we have.

I guess you just have to find something to motivate you to follow your diet. For me I decided to get back on track when I started seeing a new doctor and dietitian. In a way I felt like I was being given a chance to start over, and I was determined to prove to my new doctor and dietitian that I could control my diet. I did not want them to see me as the child who did whatever she wanted when she wanted like my previous doctor and dietition did.

Here's my suggestion: figure out what makes the diet hard for you. For some people it's the formula. Other people just don't like the taste of the low protein foods etc. Once you know why the diet is hard for you speak with your doctor or dietitian, or let everyone here know, and I am sure we can all help. The diet can be frustrating, but if it will get rid of the symptoms you said you are having it would definitely be worth it to try!

Good luck!

Breanna Hardy 18 CPKU

katiemag16
    Participant

Hey guys… I experienced a lot of stress, anxiety, lack of concentration, etc. when I was in high school.  When I went to my clinic, I expresssed my concerns with her and was completely open to what I ate (good and bad) and the amount (or in my case lack of) formula.  Therefore, she was able to help me getting back on track.  I was going away to college – I was nervous feeling all of this – however, with the help of my dietitian, I was able to reverse these HORRIBLE symptoms and feel better.

I like what Brea said above… pin point exactly what it is you have trouble with.. If it's both diet and formula, start with working on one part.  When you feel you have control of one, then work on the other…. Make goals for yourself – realistic goals – and try to reach them… Think of this if you are playing a sport – you do not wake up good at it – you have to practice to get better…

You guys will all get there too!  Stay determined : )  If you need anything, please feel free to ask me!

Katie

Anonymous

All you can really do is go back on the diet. I was having the same problems when I was in high school, and I still do. The only way those problems are going to go away is if you make ur levels go down. trust me. i have the same issues. anxiety. stress. mood swings. learning disability.. and my levels are STILL high and i try my best to keep them low but my reccomended daily phe level is only 270 mg which is a severe case of pku because its one of the lowest tolerances. but all i can tell you, is get back on that diet. its very important that you do, if you want to live a healthy, happy life

medina2009
    Participant

I myself have a 3 year-old son diagnosed with pku. at first I was so disappointed and so exusted. after that I found very nervous problems such as hair loss, thyroid, skinny face. sometimes ago I read one book by Brayan Tracy that he said if you think about misery, you'll certainly attract them. this is a fact that I myself experienced with all my soul, until I think about my baby's disease, I attract so many problems about my own and my son's health, but now I like just think about my happiness and successes. I hope one day someone find sth that causes phe to come down after eating protein foods.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Quick Poll
Which of the following best describes you?
Parent/caregiver of an infant with PKU
Parent/caregiver of a child with PKU
Teenager with PKU
Adult with PKU
Grandparent of a child with PKU
Know someone with PKU
Healthcare professional